Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate Plating & Weaponry

Cuz

Has anyone done business with apw lately? I'm trying to find out about their chroming and general gunsmithing services. How are they to do business with? Are they reputable? I'm considering buying an STI gun from them that they have chromed (.45acp Edge). How does their chroming compare to when STI does it instead? Does anyone know where STI does their chroming? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Cuz

I had a Caspian framed open gun chromed by APW almost 10 years ago and I shot the heck out of it until the comp cracked and fell off at the barrel cone. The plating on the gun still looks like brand new!

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable.

I had a Caspian framed open gun chromed by APW almost 10 years ago and I shot the heck out of it until the comp cracked and fell off at the barrel cone.  The plating on the gun still looks like brand new!

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable.

Thanks for the info. That's what I'm looking for.

-Cuz.

Cuz, I won an AP&W certificate at the USPSA Nationals (which means they truly support our game), and sent down a custom 1911 for a hard-chrome job. One of the guys called to talk over my project, and was very pleasant to deal with. The gun arrived back home at least a week ahead of schedule, and I think it looks phenomenally good. Even more important, they took the time to get everything back together correctly and cleaned up, and it functions as perfectly after the chrome as it did before. I'm very pleased with my experience with AP&W.

Mike

I gave them my limited gun at the Natioals this year for hard chroming and serrating the top of the slide.

They did excellent work and sent it back before the promised date. This was the second gun I've had them do and the next time I need hardchroming (but they do do all kinds of other finishes) I'll definitely use them.

Sam

Shoot your STI for a while before you chrome it. If you look at the slide and frame you will see many 90degree edges and corners that don't need to be sharp. They're sharp because you'd have to pay a lot more in labor to buy them un-sharp.

Some jewelers files, 320 thru 800 grit emory cloth wrapped around some square-end wooden sticks & you can do it all yourself. Have a really good shooter show you the edges you can smooth over.