Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Hornandy LnL Purchase and Now Im Nervous

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe owes me finders fee for posting his info here. [emoji2957]

I’ll let him know when he emails back. I been trying to get a refurb unit or one that was demoed to save a few bucks but no dice. Still working out my package w him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, mikey_golds said:

I’ll let him know when he emails back. I been trying to get a refurb unit or one that was demoed to save a few bucks but no dice. Still working out my package w him

ha! He will be mad I have been posting that folks should ask to their crappy stuff like case feeder! 

22 minutes ago, mikey_golds said:

??

bah... missed a word or two. My post in another thread was to skip the case feeder and overpriced powder measure. Now recommend leaving off primer system and waiting for new collator. 

when I ordered my first Revo, I skipping bullet feeder. Send Revo, I skipped case feeder and BF. Evo I skipped case feeder and powder measure. 

since it sounds like you can get military discount, it sounds like you don’t have to wait for next holiday sale but keep in mind that when they off $XXX off a press, that price comes off first then they take off the parts you don’t want. That is really a great practice for the customer if you do the math. 😉

I did that for 2nd Revo over the holiday sale. 

bah... missed a word or two. My post in another thread was to skip the case feeder and overpriced powder measure. Now recommend leaving off primer system and waiting for new collator. 

when I ordered my first Revo, I skipping bullet feeder. Send Revo, I skipped case feeder and BF. Evo I skipped case feeder and powder measure. 

since it sounds like you can get military discount, it sounds like you don’t have to wait for next holiday sale but keep in mind that when they off $XXX off a press, that price comes off first then they take off the parts you don’t want. That is really a great practice for the customer if you do the math. [emoji6]
I did that for 2nd Revo over the holiday sale. 

So money wise I don’t mind spending to support a company. That is crazy though 500 off then take off case feeder etc

20 minutes ago, mikey_golds said:

So money wise I don’t mind spending to support a company. That is crazy though 500 off then take off case feeder etc

Yeah, got a fantastic deal on 2nd Revo that way. 

good company. I think the CV stuff is slowing them down a bit. They have a lot of stuff in the works but no one in the office. I believe Joseph is a Lyman guy really. They did seem to move a lot of jobs out of the Florida location elsewhere. 

the first sales gal I worked with was super cool. Even sent me some crazy girls night out texts/pics! Ha! Tried to negotiate a better price on first press when she was out on the town. 😉

Yeah, got a fantastic deal on 2nd Revo that way. 

good company. I think the CV stuff is slowing them down a bit. They have a lot of stuff in the works but no one in the office. I believe Joseph is a Lyman guy really. They did seem to move a lot of jobs out of the Florida location elsewhere. 

the first sales gal I worked with was super cool. Even sent me some crazy girls night out texts/pics! Ha! Tried to negotiate a better price on first press when she was out on the town. [emoji6]

Lol well I got 7 day lead time on my evo

1 minute ago, mikey_golds said:

Lol well I got 7 day lead time on my evo

That’s really good... typical probably. What caliber(s)? 

i am running quite a few. I have found difficulties with a couple. 7.62x54 for example is too long to crimp. At first I thought it was the Lee FCD but even if I seat and crimp in RCBS seating die, the base of die clips the bullet on way out. There are work arounds. I ordered a second die and will cut the base off a bit to get the crimp step. Also, Hornady seat die (with the bullet alignment ring) doesn’t work on the longer cases either. Not a big deal for most. 

if you are doing the standard shorter stuff (pistol, 223, 308) you should be ok. 

On 4/15/2020 at 5:04 PM, mikey_golds said:

my thing with the 650 was that you cant have a powder check then which as a newbie i think id like

The Hornady LNL and the Dillon 750 have the same number of stations.  If you can't do it on a Dillon you couldn't do it on a Hornady.

The Dillon is 10X the press the Hornady is.

The Hornady LNL and the Dillon 750 have the same number of stations.  If you can't do it on a Dillon you couldn't do it on a Hornady.

The Dillon is 10X the press the Hornady is.

The Dillon u can’t run the bullet feeder in station 4 though. Unless u want to seat and crimp in 1 step. So it has to go after the powder measure. So u lose the check. The LNL since it’s their own bullet feeder u can.

I went with the mark 7 spent double what I wanted too. But sometimes u gotta cry once hard

It does not matter which one you get they all work good. 
Just be sure to grease everything they say, grease it like they tell you to. Be sure to align everything up tighten everything up. Don’t over tighten it.  Use the instruction, all the manufactures have video use them. You tube is a great source of instruction. 
Have fun

On 4/16/2020 at 7:21 PM, mikey_golds said:

I went with the mark 7 spent double what I wanted too. But sometimes u gotta cry once hard

It's only money and you gotta pay to play.  Once that Mark 7 starts pumping out ammo you'll stop crying and start smiling big time! 

It's only money and you gotta pay to play.  Once that Mark 7 starts pumping out ammo you'll stop crying and start smiling big time! 

Yea yea. 7 day lead time I was told. I did get two calibers so that’s also why it was a lot but I been making a good amount of extra with this virus.

I wouldn't recommend the autodrive until you've got a fair amount of experience reloading on a "armstrong" press.  Once you have a good grasp of the entire process including what can go wrong at each station and how to solve problems intuitively, then you can add the autodrive if you want higher thruput.  But, my guess is you'll be so pleased with the thru-put of the "basic" system that unless you're shooting thousands of rounds a month, you won't be able to financially justify the autodrive, even if you're rolling in dough!

On 4/19/2020 at 6:41 PM, mvmojo said:

I wouldn't recommend the autodrive until you've got a fair amount of experience reloading on a "armstrong" press.  Once you have a good grasp of the entire process including what can go wrong at each station and how to solve problems intuitively, then you can add the autodrive if you want higher thruput.  But, my guess is you'll be so pleased with the thru-put of the "basic" system that unless you're shooting thousands of rounds a month, you won't be able to financially justify the autodrive, even if you're rolling in dough!

partially shipped. no dies so that kind of sucks. 

On 4/19/2020 at 5:06 PM, mikey_golds said:

Yea yea. 7 day lead time I was told. I did get two calibers so that’s also why it was a lot but I been making a good amount of extra with this virus.

Did you get two tool heads?

On 4/16/2020 at 12:49 PM, DJRyan13 said:

Joe owes me finders fee for posting his info here. 🤪

True, I used the info you gave us to get my order set up with him,  I still want to see a picture of the back side of you dillon powder drop om it, if you have time.

Just now, mikey_golds said:

Yeah. Kinda felt like it was a waste too. Should of just sucked up to reset the dies 

Trust  me its not a waste.  I set my dies then I'm good maybe small tweaks,  I have 4 for my 650 and 2 for my 1050.

35 minutes ago, mikey_golds said:

Yeah. Kinda felt like it was a waste too. Should of just sucked up to reset the dies 

Not a waste at all.  If you're changing calibers often, MUCH easier to have a dedicated tool head for each one.  You'll be glad you popped a few extra bucks once you get a feel for what it takes to set up the dies and get them tweaked just the way you want them.  Like you said earlier, "cry once"!

I have had a 550, 650 and a LNL. I prefer the LNL to both Dillons I've had, I am one of the few that finds the Hornady smoother and easier to set up. The switch over between calibers is just as easy on the LNL as it was on the 650. The primer system on the LNL is way better than the 650 as far as I'm concerned. Much simpler design and no wasted primers. The powder drop seem to be about the same on both as far as consistency. Maybe a slight edge to the LNL. I have never used the Dillon warranty but you cant beat it if needed.
Don't sell Hornady's warranty short. It doesn't seem to get talked about much but I'll put it against anything.

Long story but I inherited a LNL AP that was missing many parts. All it really was was a stripped press and a #1 shell plate.

I could have simply ordered the parts needed to get it all running but I decided to send it to Hornady to let them clean and service the press. As part of this, they installed a new primer system and primer catch bottle and tube and a set of bushings for the tool head. Cost to me? Shipping. Who can argue with that?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk