Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poa / Poi

D.carden

Last week I installed a FO front site on my 625 from EGW. Looks great.

I have, since i started shooting, been using the dot ( FO or others) as the "point of aim". Also that being the "point of impact" ( assumed ).

Do any of you use the "top" of the front and rear sites as you POA, regardless of there being a dot?

I spoke with HOP a while back and he uses the top of his sites ( black post in front-millet rear).

Where is your POA on the sites?

Where is your POI in relation to your POA? High/Low?

Dan...............

Dan,

What the others said....top of the blade, I find it more accurate on steel and distance shots. This is why I went back to a gold bead, with the FO (SDM) I had a hard time doing this, kept wanting to aim POI. I'm now thinking of giving a black partridge try as I think I can be even more accurate.

Jerry

I'm with everybody else. I always try to envision the bullet "landing" on the top of the front blade. I don't use the F.O., I've found I don't seem to pick up the front sight any faster and hit higher on the target. I like a jet black front and rear from a carbide lamp.

Sam, I hear an excuse being set up.....I can almost hear it now (one week into the future):

"Yeah man, I would have done way better in Rolla except I just put that fiber optic on my 625 and my aim point's way off now and you know what?--it was just exactly like Bill said on the forum, it was like a big flaming red fireball was blocking my view, it was just like looking into a sunlamp, otherwise I know I would have really kicked Carmoney's ass, hell you've seen him, you know how slow he shoots...."

;)

Mike

OTFLMAO "BIG TIME".

Just got of the phone with Sam. He said i better have a look in here.

Hey Mike, Were you a "butcher" in your previous occupation. LOL

You sure can slice someone up pretty good.

But , i can tell you now, there wont be ANY excuses.

1st place doesn't need any.

I'm saving room in my bag for the match winner plaque. HA HA HA.......( i'm hopin)

Edited by D.carden

OK, now in order to be fair, I think I should give the original question the serious and thoughtful response it deserves:

Dan, a fiber optic sight requires a little different set-up in order to ensure that your revolver hits to the correct POA/POI. I've developed a method which I believe will help simplify the process so that you can get back to your intensive pre-match dry-fire regimen.

Start by printing off the following special F/O sight-in chart:

bear.jpg

Tape the special F/O sight-in chart to a flat vertical surface (such as a wall). Now put the revolver securely in a vise and orient the vise so that the flaming red ball is located directly on the red star on the chart as you're looking down the sights with your dominant eye. Now, close your dominant eye and hold it tightly shut. Extremely important!--Do not move your head from this point on. Use a second vise if necessary.

Using a sight adjustment tool (such as a screwdriver), adjust your rear sight so that the top blade edge of the sight (not the flaming red ball, the actual blade edge) comes to rest in the bear's mouth, using your non-dominant eye. When done correctly, it will look like a flaming red apple in the bear's mouth.

Now, take your 625 to the range and enjoy your new fiber optic sight picture. Remember not to adjust the sights without using the vise and special sight-in chart as described above.

Take good care and see you in Rolla,

Mike

That didnt work Mike.

All's I got was a head ache when I clamped my head in the vise. Was i supposed to tighten it that much?? Now all i see is a big flaming red star. Go figure!!!

Seriously though,

I have good success using the dot as the POA/POI. Theres plenty of room to see around the post to get good alignment. Also, i site in slightly high to compensate for long shots.

Works for me !!!

See you in Rolla