Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas Erebus or ported SVI

Irontexan

I currently have a STI DVC-P and am considering changing to either an Atlas Erebus or a ported SVI with a slide mounted red dot. I am curious if the muzzle rise reduction of the ports on an SVI hybrid barrel would be comparable to the single port comps on the Erebus or the DVC-P. Whichever pistol I go with will be in 9mm Minor. Thanks for any insight.

For reference, this is the style SVI I am referring to.

2134319971_2011sviinfinity5.thumb.jpeg.d75821acab63ff088d1bdd6b63b18ee7.jpeg

Edited by Irontexan
added pic

I talked with Chris Tilley, the time a SVI shooter, some years ago about my open gun.

HIs take was there is a trade off between muzzle flip and recoil.  He preferred less muzzle flip, keeping the dot in the optic.  

There is a relationship between ports, muzzle flip, recoil, and your powder choices.

My IMM SV had very little muzzle flip, decent recoil, and a very bad concussion blast for the ROs.  I used VV 3N38 producing a lot of gas which worked the comp to perfection. 

If I was to get back into Open, SV is the only choice for me.  I'll pay the premium for their quality.  Understand, I am not bad mouthing any other builder but my experience with SV has been superior.

Thank you, I am leaning towards SV, but with them not having a single port comp set up available I am left hoping their ported set up gives similar results. Unfortunately I can't find anything as far as user reviews for this set up. I really like how the comp on the DVC-P keeps the nose down compared to my CZ TSO, so that's a feature I'd prefer to keep.

The Erebus appears to be a very flat shooting pistol and is the most "apples to apples" comparison and upgrade to my DVC-P. It retains all the things I love about the DVC-P with the improved trigger and metal grip upgrade that I am looking for.

Honestly for 3 gun I wouldn’t even get a fancy pants comp’ed gun. I’d go for a STI Staccato Duo for $2500. They shoot remarkably flat. I shot mine next to an Atlas Erebus about a month ago, and while the Erebus was nicer, I certainly don’t think it was worth $3500 more. I don’t think it would change your placing in a big 3 gun match. 

6 hours ago, geraldskip said:

Honestly for 3 gun I wouldn’t even get a fancy pants comp’ed gun. I’d go for a STI Staccato Duo for $2500. They shoot remarkably flat. I shot mine next to an Atlas Erebus about a month ago, and while the Erebus was nicer, I certainly don’t think it was worth $3500 more. I don’t think it would change your placing in a big 3 gun match. 

I would have to agree with you, I don't NEED an upgrade and I doubt whatever I get will have any effect on my placings. Ultimately it is a want, just chasing a faster gun. I think I have talked myself towards the Erebus.

On 3/11/2020 at 7:07 PM, Irontexan said:

I would have to agree with you, I don't NEED an upgrade and I doubt whatever I get will have any effect on my placings. Ultimately it is a want, just chasing a faster gun. I think I have talked myself towards the Erebus.

Then go for the Erebus 100% if you got the money.  Those things are gorgeous and sexy as all get out. They do shoot quite nicely, but again, I doubt it’ll be THAT much better than your DVC-P.