Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken elevation screw

broadus123

I just had the second elevation screw shear off the bomar sight in my edge. This is the second time in @ 2 years. I never had one break prior to this. Is there anything I should check ? Should I use a lighter spring in the sight ? Maybe I was just lucky in the past. Any suggestions?

thanks

How high is your sight elevated?  If there is a gap this can cause the sight to bounce when it's fired creating force on that screw.  You can try to fit a small piece of rubber under the leaf to fill this gap.  That small spring may be worn out.

32 minutes ago, assaulter said:

How high is your sight elevated?  If there is a gap this can cause the sight to bounce when it's fired creating force on that screw.  You can try to fit a small piece of rubber under the leaf to fill this gap.  That small spring may be worn out.

This!!

Stop the bounce and that helps with broken screws. 

Its up @ 1/8"  Should I use both springs ? It has a small spring inside a larger spring. I never had one break in over 10 yrs shooting edges. The rubber sounds like a good idea.

Edited by broadus123

I just had my STI brand (looks similar in design to the bomar, maybe just relabeled) adjustable rear apart so that I could locktite the site to the frame and tighten the setscrew a bit more.  When I had it apart I noticed that mine had both springs installed.  I'm guessing it came this way from the factory.  FWIW, I've never sheared an elevation screw on any of my limited guns.