Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travel to Grand Junction, CO

Unfortunately I have to fly for major matches due to work so I was wondering if anyone has been in and out of Grand Junction, CO that would have tips on best airlines, etc. 

Seems a bit too far to drive from Denver or other major airports. 

Grand Junction is an American Airlines hub.  The airport is fantastic as you don't pay for parking and you can be in and through security in a matter of minutes.  There are quality hotels within a couple minutes and it is all close to I-70 which takes you strait to the range  about 15 minutes east of the airport.  If they have direct flights to my destination it is my first choice of airports that I am near.

4 hours ago, Trentmopar said:

Grand Junction is an American Airlines hub.  The airport is fantastic as you don't pay for parking and you can be in and through security in a matter of minutes.  There are quality hotels within a couple minutes and it is all close to I-70 which takes you strait to the range  about 15 minutes east of the airport.  If they have direct flights to my destination it is my first choice of airports that I am near.

Thanks for the info. Not a fan of that airline based on a number of bad travel experiences with them but I'll check out my options. 

Edited by teddym90

Looks like American Airlines; United Airlines; Delta Airlines and Allegiant Air service the regional airport in Grand Junction. 

The airline I wanted to use does not go there so we’ll be driving there.

13 minutes ago, HI5-O said:

Looks like American Airlines; United Airlines; Delta Airlines and Allegiant Air service the regional airport in Grand Junction. 

that's a long drive from Maui 😉

2 hours ago, HI5-O said:

Thanks, I thought I saw that before.  The airline I'd prefer also doesn't go there but between a tight timeline and cost of getting a car to drive from Denver or Salt Lake it looks like my best option is bite the bullet and fly straight in.

I’ve flown in and out of there 3 or 4 times to work at the range. Honestly it isn’t bad a bad flight... I’ve flown thru Phoenix and a couple other places to connect into there..

A few pointers—
The rental car counters close BEFORE THE LAST FLIGHT LANDS! make sure you plan accordingly!

There are only 2 luggage carousels- and they are right next to the rental cars— so choose wisely and go straight to the car counter first!

There is next to no food in the airport.. eat before you arrive for your departing flight.

TSA PRE-check!! If you have time to registrar and get it— it can save you.. I have seen lines last 45 min when the airport has 2-3 planes leaving.

Going to the range— it is straight up the interstate... exit 45.. literally you can be from the airport to the range in less than 20 min.

Once you pass I think it is exit 38 there are no food stops or anything but a road side stand to get anything to eat or drink... be prepared for that!

The range— 728ff21c1bb1d31d4d79f99191a0a628.jpg

I dropped in a construction image from the butte above... all the bays on the right is where you will be shooting... 13 bays and they are Big!

Every bay has a shelter and metal bleachers.
In each shelter are enough tables for 16 plus competitors! Plus an AC outlet!

There is guest internet on the entire range. It works well— I actually installed it, so I’m kinda partial...

The range manager is a guy named Walt.. he is a great person to know!

There are 2 huge picnic shelters... power outlets are aplenty there! Plenty of tables too..
e66d33d68bb2406f229e4f70a4ad0969.jpg
This picture is from construction inside a picnic shelter...

Food in town— lots of good places....

But anyway— enjoy your match... and if you see Walt- tell him Jim said hello.

I’ve flown in and out of there 3 or 4 times to work at the range. Honestly it isn’t bad a bad flight... I’ve flown thru Phoenix and a couple other places to connect into there..

A few pointers—
The rental car counters close BEFORE THE LAST FLIGHT LANDS! make sure you plan accordingly!

There are only 2 luggage carousels- and they are right next to the rental cars— so choose wisely and go straight to the car counter first!

There is next to no food in the airport.. eat before you arrive for your departing flight.

TSA PRE-check!! If you have time to registrar and get it— it can save you.. I have seen lines last 45 min when the airport has 2-3 planes leaving.

Going to the range— it is straight up the interstate... exit 45.. literally you can be from the airport to the range in less than 20 min.

Once you pass I think it is exit 38 there are no food stops or anything but a road side stand to get anything to eat or drink... be prepared for that!

The range— 728ff21c1bb1d31d4d79f99191a0a628.jpg

I dropped in a construction image from the butte above... all the bays on the right is where you will be shooting... 13 bays and they are Big!

Every bay has a shelter and metal bleachers.
In each shelter are enough tables for 16 plus competitors! Plus an AC outlet!

There is guest internet on the entire range. It works well— I actually installed it, so I’m kinda partial...

The range manager is a guy named Walt.. he is a great person to know!

There are 2 huge picnic shelters... power outlets are aplenty there! Plenty of tables too..
e66d33d68bb2406f229e4f70a4ad0969.jpg
This picture is from construction inside a picnic shelter...

Food in town— lots of good places....

But anyway— enjoy your match... and if you see Walt- tell him Jim said hello.