Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

18in vent rib semi

1911vm

For no apparent reason I want an 18in semi auto shotgun.  Just because lol. But I want it vent rib not ghost rings. I want it to be set up just like a 3gun gun. All the ones I have looked at are with 18in barrels ( Tactical models) have ghost sights. That means that I need to have a barrel cut down to 18". Should I have any concerns about doing that?

If you cut it down, you will need to get the barrel threaded by a gun smith.  There are stages with 20-25 yard knock-over targets and smaller closer targets, and a 18" open bore will not be able to knock them down with standard ammo.  I see this happen a lot at matches. 

Edited by roxymajor
spell

No concerns cutting barrels, folks do it all the time. There are also companies that install ribs, like Simmons in Kansas. If you find an 18" with chokes, just send it to someone to install the rib.

With additional costs I would be at 1k. I think for now I am going to go old school.  I have an old 1100  that I think I am going to cut that barrel down on.  And play with that. Just to make sure I like how the 18 in feels.