Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock 29+1

eric nielsen

Got ticked off at my Arredondo 140mm mag which has the newest Glock 9mm tube & follower, and the long Wolff spring that doesn't click into the new follower. Every other mag I have works fine, including a Taylor 170.0 & new tube, 27rds.

Decided, lets put together my new Taylor 171.5 [just fits the gauge] and forgetabout the d**n new hollow follower. Broke out the "old style 9mm" followers from Glockmeister that say "9mm3" which I guess means 3rd generation follower.

[if you know all the generations of Glock tubes & followers, please post]

Could see that the back end was too wide, so I used a file to take off material a lot like this website shows for the *other* tubes sold during the Brady Decade: Follower Mod Site

On this #3 follower there's a big bump that sticks out on the left, halfway between the fore & aft ends. Have to completely remove that.

Final result: 29 rounds of 9Major in the mag. :D It makes the gun a lot heavier!!

Tested good with dummy rounds & racking - I'll post after testing at the range tomorrow. I'll probably docter up another for the 140 mag & hopefully get 23+1.

Edited by eric nielsen

Tell us how you get 29 in there. Did you hog out the bottom? Tell us the secret. I can barely get 28 in my 170 TF's. I won't reload to one with 28 in it. I have used several generations of follower and none gave me any different slack in the stack. I just don't see enough material on the follower to add the space for this. The TF 170's are rated at +10 on the base 17er so 27 is their rated cap. At 28 mine are coil bound like there is no tomorrow.

Edited by George

I called Robin Taylor to ask about the new +11 pads, must've seen them in Front Sight or something. He said the USPSA gauge allows mags that are 141.25 for Limited and allows 171.25 for Open. Also said that "Original" on his website means non-drop-free [really old tube] and all the mags since work with his "Drop-Free" pad. Very nice guy, pleasure to talk with him.

The +11 is 171.25 - you can see the difference with side-by-side with the 170. I expected 28, not 29. The top round can be pushed down to the feedlips & seats in the gun easy enough. The follower also trips the slide stop just fine.

The #3 follower is really tiny at the top & they're flat and almost vertical at the back end. Not sure if Glockmeister got them from Glock or somewhere else.

If you try to put a Wolff 170 spring [comes with Taylor & Arredondo both] with the new followers, and narrow the top coil enough to click in there, they still bind at the back-right corner and don't sit square on top of the spring. That was driving me batty.

[edited for dimensional disfunctions - hi Beven!]

Edited by eric nielsen

Shot it for function-check early today, works fine.

I've never been into the whole "I've got 31+1, beat that!" school of tinkering. I'd never even consider cutting coils or chopping off follower legs to get an extra round. BUT, this combo seems to work really well, without taking any risks.

BTW I didn't use it in the match today but came in 2nd [93%] with 2 nice, safe running reloads. Still skittish about the 2 jams I had earlier, cases didn't eject, think this is probably too much recoil spring ??? Possibly I'm thumbing the slide on occasion too. I'm using Slide Glide Lite now, cut with Break-Free.

PS - the #3 follower got my 140 mag up to 23 rounds.

Edited by eric nielsen

Nik,

Give me some ideas on how to get 24+1 w/arredondo 140 pads please.

I'm working off memory here ---- but I'm pretty sure the mags I borrowed a couple of years ago held 24 ---- older style dropfree tube, Arredondo +6 pad, Grams modded follower, Arredondo's (I think spring). It was a reloadable 24 with a reallysolid set --- I might only want to start a stage with one. There are very few stages where the extra round is truly an advantage ---- and in Limited you get spanked for shooting minor. Major open --- why not just build extra big sticks?

NHO apparently also sells a +1 follower --- that might help too, in cramming that last round in there....

• 1 month later...

Like I metioned in a nother post we have been doing R&D on mags & followers and we came up with a set up that will make you open shooters VERY HAPPY. A workable (we tested over 600rds with no malfunctions) a 30rd 170mm stick (30+1 starting mag)Its a little tight but works,we are still doing some testing.

Like I metioned in a nother post we have been doing R&D on mags & followers and we came up with a set up that will make you open shooters VERY HAPPY. A workable (we tested over 600rds with no malfunctions) a 30rd 170mm stick (30+1 starting mag)Its a little tight but works,we are still doing some testing.

Cool beans! Keep us posted...

Added some photos of the Taylor Freelance 29+1 mag and followers. If you have this pad already, I recommend the modified followers shown. Adds one round to the 140 mag too.

If you don't have a 170mm mag yet, you might wait for Tom's newest creation, also John Nagel has something similar in the works that's made from a cut-down G18 magazine. As always I recommend dealing with those guys and Brian Hawley as well. They've done more good things for Glock shooters in the last couple years than other firms that have been around much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my new floorplates in today. I got the old style since I had a number of old mags for my 17. These are the NFML mags, BTW. I have not done any tuning on the follower yet but both mags hold 29 rounds. It takes a bit of cussing to get the last round in but it's there. I kind of doubt I can convince another to fit even by playing with the followers but who knows... :)

Oh, there are at least two types of NFML mags out there. The oldest one I have came with my first G17, bought as a demo unit back before most gun mags had an article on them. The floorplate is smooth, no Glock logo and it's a millimeter or two shorter than the newer ones. It comes close to fitting flush with the bottom of the gun's grip. Figured something was different when the extension caused the bottom of the magazine opening to flare just a bit.

I'll see how they run this weekend.

:D

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Bump. Glockmeister still has a few of the "9mm3" followers.

The 29-round glock mag was the most hassle-free, most reliable big stick I ever owned.

Easy way to clean it is to loosen one screw, remove the 2nd one, turn the back plate out of the way, then put the 2nd screw back in its place. Remove pad, clean mag, reassemble in reverse order.

I kept one allen wrench in my shooting belt & a few spares in my bag.