Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single side vs Double side scope mount

tag129

I would say that it depends on what scope you are mounting. I have a double side with a slideride and a single side with an RTS2. The size and weight difference may lend the slideride better suited to a double sided mount? I've seen a lot of folks using a single sided tho. I think the obvious advantage to the single side mount is I don't need to remove the racker to take the slide off. I myself have not had the issue of cases bouncing off the double side/slideride setup and going back into the ejection port. I shoot 38SC, so I can't speak for 9mm. I'm in the process of breaking in a new pistol with a single side/RTS2 setup, I do like that the scope sits lower to the bore. I'm having an issue with the shells getting caught between the slide and the scope mount, but that should work out as the pistol breaks in and the ejector gets tuned better. Because of the scope being closer to the bore, and not having to remove the racker to break the pistol down, I'm probably going to change the other pistol to the single side mount, but I'm not in a hurry.

10 hours ago, tag129 said:

Hi All, 

What’s the benefits of having a double side scope mount? Is it worth switching over from single side to dbl side mount? 
Any advices would be appreciated. 

Double sided is a stiffer system.  Can take out some dot wiggle and "explosion" from mount vibration.  Some care, some don't.

Here is the easy answer on if a Double Sided mount is needed or worth it.......... Does the dot stay fully contained in the glass when you shoot? If it does, then you will likely prefer a double sided mount because it helps reduce dot "Noise" on the glass from the concussion & vibration induced by the shot firing and slide cycling. If the dot lifts and leaves the glass completely then comes back down into the glass after the slide cycles, then it likely doesn't matter if you run a single side or double sided mount. This is because you are allowing the gun to muzzle flip and bounce around excessively due to your grip pressure and angles. This excessive gun movement will mask any minute vibration induced dot movement caused by a single sided mount.

The observable vertical space of RTS2 glass is around 6cm at target distance of 1m, holding the gun at arms length. Assuming the dot starts in the middle of the glass, that results

>>> math.degrees(math.atan2(3, 100))

1.72 degree of muzzle flip before dot goes out of the glass.

(Pardon the naive math)

Thx everyone,
I’m running a Akai 38SC with single side mount / C more slide ride red dot.  The dot doesn’t leave the glass but I would like to improve the dot movement as much as possible.  Try to gain an edge over my buddies, Muhahaaaaaaa

greatly appreciated 

2 hours ago, arkadi said:

The observable vertical space of RTS2 glass is around 6cm at target distance of 1m, holding the gun at arms length. Assuming the dot starts in the middle of the glass, that results

>>> math.degrees(math.atan2(3, 100))

1.72 degree of muzzle flip before dot goes out of the glass.

(Pardon the naive math)

I think its actually closer to half that as the dot starts roughly centered in the lens.

Doing the math on a slide ride (29mm high lens) that works out to 5.71" of rise on a 7yd target from centered dot to edge of glass.  (based on 28" eye to lens)