Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm XDN OSP chamber size-brass sticking

verla

On 2/6/2020 at 9:03 AM, verla said:

put the stuck round in a Dillon 9mm chamber gauge- went right in up to the base of the cartridge-i.e. flat with respect to the end of the case gauge. Must have either a dirty chamber or something lodged in between the case and the chamber wall- reason it stuck. Will clean barrel and fire 50 rounds in the pistol to test it.

or your chamber is shaped differently than your case gauge. the case gauge is only really useful for figuring out if your brass is bulged. your own chamber is better for figuring out how long to load without running into the rifling, and i would advise leaving a little extra room. with a perfectly clean barrel i can get blue bullets at 1.075" to plunk and spin, but once it gets dirty i have to go down to 1.06 or under. so that's what i load at.

i did some testing this weekend with gallant coated 124 gr bullets and came up with 1.085" as a safe and reliable length.

thanks for the infro- I will load up some 124 RN

19 hours ago, motosapiens said:

or your chamber is shaped differently than your case gauge. the case gauge is only really useful for figuring out if your brass is bulged. your own chamber is better for figuring out how long to load without running into the rifling, and i would advise leaving a little extra room. with a perfectly clean barrel i can get blue bullets at 1.075" to plunk and spin, but once it gets dirty i have to go down to 1.06 or under. so that's what i load at.

i did some testing this weekend with gallant coated 124 gr bullets and came up with 1.085" as a safe and reliable length.

thanks for the infro- I will load up some 124 RN with 1.085" OAL and try them in the 9mm case gauge and my chamber when the barrel is removed and see if there is a difference. Also will try some of my previous loads in both to see if there is a difference.

tried 1.08 to 1.15" OAL length 124 gr loaded rounds in a 9mm case gauge. all fit (plunked) perfectly. tried all rounds in the barrel of my XDM springfield. all appeared to fit perfectly and could spin all of the rounds when put in the chamber of the barrel- the 1.08" OAL  was easier to spin than the 1.15" OAL cartridge. still think it must have been a piece of trash in the chamber that caused the round to "stick" so tightly.

It use to be highly recommended not to load ammo to more than 1.15 OAL in Springfield XD or XDM pistols because of the magazine interior messurements.  The chamber may allow for a longer OAL but longer OAL ammo would rub the interior wall of the magazine and cause loading issues.

Good Luck and Be Safe!!!

😎

11 hours ago, verla said:

did springfield recommend this loaded cartridge length for the xd and xdm? I have not been able to find out anything about this.

RIIID (Rich from Canyon Creek Custom), who was known as one of the top 2 or 3 (if not the absolute best) Springfield XD gunsmiths in the nation is who would recommend an OAL no longer than 1.15 for consistency and reliability due to the interior dimensions of the magazines.

Good Luck and Be Safe

😎

Edited by szhttm

Sad to say that Canyon Creek has closed.  Illness has taken the better part of him and a lot of us who have had work done by him and/or purchased his products greatly hope he will be able to return to he business one day.  Not only was he a master at his craft, but also an innovator and one willing to share information.  

I would recommend you contact Springer at Springer Precision.  He is also well known and a great Springfield XD gunsmith/innovator.  

Good Luck and Be Safe

😎

got some good technical information from Michael boyd at springer precision regarding leade in the chamber and will try it today- will let you know if it helps- 

Edited by verla
additional infro

Benny Hill suggested loading some 124 gr RN to OAL of 1.125 and trying them- if 100 rounds work w/o a jam the ammo is "ok". Will try this, this coming week.

he suggested the reason the loaded round stuck in the chamber was due to a case bulge.

Edited by verla
additional infro

48 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

1.  How does the gun do with factory ammo ?

2.  Is your OAL at 1.166 ?    or  1.116 ?

have not tried factory ammo yet.

resetting the OAL to 1.125- originally it was about 1.166- which I have been told is too long

I wouldn't spend too much time working on my reloaded ammo

until I tried a box of factory ammo.  If I had the same problem

with factory ammo, I'd be looking at the gun or mag, not the

reloads.

Reason I asked if your OAL is 1.166 or 1.116, is that lots of people

mix the two up - read one when it is actually the other - the 1.166"

sounds awfully long to me.   I'd suspect that your loads were

actually 1.116".