Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm XDN OSP chamber size-brass sticking

verla

I have a Springfield XDM OSP 9mm. Periodically the brass from my reloads stick in the chamber- it is a chore to get them out. The cases have been roll sized in a case pro before reloading. Is the chamber size "small" in this pistol compared to other 9mm pistols?

Anyone else experiencing this problem with their reloads?

The chamber is very short in my XDM. Have to load really short for it. Are you saying fired cases are hard to get out/won’t extract? Or loaded rounds are hard to rack out? If loaded rounds then they are too long.

Make sure your extractor is not bent away from the case rims. If that is OK I would say your brass is "Glocked" brass which is bulged at the bottom of the case. I use a Lee EGW resizing die which eliminates this bulge. 

Also, make sure your OAL is not too long for the XDm chamber. Take a loaded round and place it in the barrel and make sure it spins freely. I doubt this is causing the problem, but check it to be sure. Normally a too long round prevents the ammo from seating and allowing the slide to fully close.

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

The chamber is very short in my XDM. Have to load really short for it. Are you saying fired cases are hard to get out/won’t extract? Or loaded rounds are hard to rack out? If loaded rounds then they are too long.

The slide will not go back to eject the loaded round. Have to put the gun in a vice and pound on the grip with a rubber hammer and 2X4 to make the slide go to the rear. The loaded round comes out and the brass has scrape marks on it about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way from the case mouth. Surprised at this since all of the cases have been put through a case pro prior to reloading. No marks on bullet.

The length of the loaded round is 1.166".

1 hour ago, verla said:

The slide will not go back to eject the loaded round. Have to put the gun in a vice and pound on the grip with a rubber hammer and 2X4 to make the slide go to the rear. The loaded round comes out and the brass has scrape marks on it about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way from the case mouth. Surprised at this since all of the cases have been put through a case pro prior to reloading. No marks on bullet.

The length of the loaded round is 1.166".

Hmm... Get a light and mirror or scope and see if a case separated in the chamber. Those stepped cases come apart and leave a  perfect small ring of brass in the chamber. Might be worth looking at.

The gun has worked fine in the past and this is a new problem? Case separation would be my guess.

Or is the gun new and just won't chamber? unfinished chamber from the factory would be my guess.

and in my experience every bullet I tried had to be under 1.10 to work in mine. 1.66 is longer than my 9MAJOR ammo.

Edited by Sarge

3 hours ago, Sarge said:

Hmm... Get a light and mirror or scope and see if a case separated in the chamber. Those stepped cases come apart and leave a  perfect small ring of brass in the chamber. Might be worth looking at.

The gun has worked fine in the past and this is a new problem? Case separation would be my guess.

Or is the gun new and just won't chamber? unfinished chamber from the factory would be my guess.

and in my experience every bullet I tried had to be under 1.10 to work in mine. 1.66 is longer than my 9MAJOR ammo.

carefully checked the chamber with a flashlight after thorough cleaning- no evidence of case separation- factory 124gr round slips in chamber nicely- OAL length of my 124 gr cartridge should be ok since Winchester data says max OAL length for a 124 gr loaded cartridge is 1.169- think the brass was bulged at the base of the loaded round that stuck in the chamber- must have escaped the case pro step. other thoughts?

37 minutes ago, verla said:

OAL length of my 124 gr cartridge should be ok since Winchester data says max OAL length for a 124 gr loaded cartridge is 1.169-

Did you actually check it? or do you just think it *should* be ok. (i'd be surprised if it was actually ok, but it depends on the bullet). What bullet are you using?

Do you chamber check/case-gauge your ammo? Or just hope for the best?

fwiw, I have the same gun, and recently learned about how short I have to load to get the rounds to reliably chamber. Significantly shorter than  in my p09, pcc's or 1911's.

Edited by motosapiens

2 hours ago, verla said:

carefully checked the chamber with a flashlight after thorough cleaning- no evidence of case separation- factory 124gr round slips in chamber nicely- OAL length of my 124 gr cartridge should be ok since Winchester data says max OAL length for a 124 gr loaded cartridge is 1.169- think the brass was bulged at the base of the loaded round that stuck in the chamber- must have escaped the case pro step. other thoughts?

Comparing reloads to what a company says will work shows an extreme lack of knowledge of the entire   reloading process. Please read the  reloading threads and focus on oal of various bullets etc.

Did you plunk test your reloads?

Case bulges are not really a thing in 9mm. 

Edited by Sarge

I would say your OAL is way to long. My OSP runs from 1.10 to 1.18 (this applies to my own XDm only), and that depends heavily on the bullet type. Blue Blullets will run longer then Montana Golds for instance. The info you are referring too is an AVERAGE, not a Gospel. Some rounds can run longer, some are shorter.

Sarge and motosapiens are correct, read up some more on the forums here. The plunk and spin test is the best test on whether or not a load will work. If the loaded round will not spin freely sitting in the chamber, and drop out with no pulling or hitting you are close. Keep lowering OAL until it does so. In addition, as you shorten OAL, the pressure also builds up, so watch for problems. I do not run max loads in my XDm since the OAL is shorter then the manual lists.

1 minute ago, mont1120 said:

I would say your OAL is way to long. My OSP runs from 1.10 to 1.18 (this applies to my own XDm only), and that depends heavily on the bullet type. Blue Blullets will run longer then Montana Golds for instance. The info you are referring too is an AVERAGE, not a Gospel. Some rounds can run longer, some are shorter.

Sarge and motosapiens are correct, read up some more on the forums here. The plunk and spin test is the best test on whether or not a load will work. If the loaded round will not spin freely sitting in the chamber, and drop out with no pulling or hitting you are close. Keep lowering OAL until it does so. In addition, as you shorten OAL, the pressure also builds up, so watch for problems. I do not run max loads in my XDm since the OAL is shorter then the manual lists.

LOL, I just noticed you are from Evansville....lived there for 26 years. Could never stand the humidity.

3 hours ago, mont1120 said:

will try some shorter OAL loads and do the plunk test- thanks

never had a problem with my STI eagle or Canik TP9SFx using the 1.166 OAL 9mm loads- have shot thousands of rounds. springfield XDM OSP does have a problem with these loads however.

will measure OAL of Winchester white box 124 grain 9mm loads as a comparison-these may be ok?

humidity not bad here in Evansville- we lived in Little Rock, AR for 9 years- temp and humidity in summer was brutal.

Edited by verla
additional infro

3 hours ago, mont1120 said:

The plunk and spin test is the best test on whether or not a load will work. If the loaded round will not spin freely sitting in the chamber, and drop out with no pulling or hitting you are close. Keep lowering OAL until it does so. In addition, as you shorten OAL, the pressure also builds up, so watch for problems. I do not run max loads in my XDm since the OAL is shorter then the manual lists.

I would also recommend doing the plunk and spin test with a dirty barrel, or else plan to subtract another couple hundredths. I found that with a sparkling clean barrel, my rounds would plunk and spin at 1.085 or so, but then after 50 rounds they would start sticking and sometimes not fully chambering.

tried the plunk/spin test with the springfield and canik barrels- both passed the test with the 1.166 OAL rounds- the canik barrel was dirty the springfield was clean.

tried with processed brass- few of them would not chamber in the springfield bbl- this is where the problem lies possibly- maybe some of these cases were not put through the case pro? will investigate.

could be a seater issue,,,
But really 1.166 is really long for any of the bulk reloading bullets out there.
Yes Winchester WB is 1.169,,, or used to be. But  is a really pointed bullet. Almost all bulk 9mm will need to loaded down to at least 1.120 if not 1.090 for this gun.

will try 1.130 OAL using a 124 grain bullet going about 1050 fps and then will case gauge all 9mm loaded ammo as I have done for years with my 40 S&W and 38 super match (nationals, area, section and state championships) ammo. have been using the 9mm ammo for club matches. 

10 hours ago, verla said:

who else out there has a recommendation for a 124gr RN bullet load that cycles for the 9mm luger to be shot in the springfield XDM?

i think everything cycles at pretty much every length. feeding is probably the last issue i would worry about.

i just discovered today that the threaded barrel on my OSP doesn't like my 115 gr blue /e3  loads. they tumble like crazy and the groups are measured in feet. OTOH, the same load runs fine and groups tightly with the standard barrel. OTOOH the threaded barrel groups fine with the same bullet using n340 instead of e3. I guess this is why we test stuff before showing up to a match.

good to know about a threaded barrel. my XDM does not have one, but I try my loads before going to a match- stuck live round in chamber previously. Have to reduce the OAL of the cartridge as suggested above. will try several increments of OAL length between/including 1.09 and 1.13 inches and chrono each group..

Edited by verla
additional infro

• 2 weeks later...

put the stuck round in a Dillon 9mm chamber gauge- went right in up to the base of the cartridge-i.e. flat with respect to the end of the case gauge. Must have either a dirty chamber or something lodged in between the case and the chamber wall- reason it stuck. Will clean barrel and fire 50 rounds in the pistol to test it.