Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

75 Shadow Custom

Stafford

Looked at this pistol yesterday at the gun shop and really liked it. Is this one good for USPSA Production and IDPA SSP or ESP?

It was a CZ 75 Shadow Custom. SKU 91715 https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom/cz-75-shadow-custom-black.html

However, it did not have those thin aluminum grips. It had the checkered aluminum grips that are found on the SP01 Shadow Target II. 

Looked at this pistol yesterday at the gun shop and really liked it. Is this one good for USPSA Production and IDPA SSP or ESP?

It was a CZ 75 Shadow Custom. SKU 91715 https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom/cz-75-shadow-custom-black.html

However, it did not have those thin aluminum grips. It had the checkered aluminum grips that are found on the SP01 Shadow Target II. 
I believe it should fall under this line of guns which is legal7d939bb8907b2135d5ee0c56204d2691.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

@Rnlinebacker FYI the "Shadow Line" does not describe any generic Shadow. It was a specific pistol called the "Shadow Line" and only applies to that specific pistol, not every pistol in the Shadow "lineup."

@Stafford I actually suspect it would not be legal by the strictest letter of the ruleset. Most of the Custom Shop creations (as opposed to a stock gun which has been tuned) don't meet the minimum 2000 unit distribution and therefore are not eligible to be on the approved list. However, I haven't shot Prod in ages and I'm certainly not the final arbiter on rules. Hopefully someone who is more current on Prod will chime in. That being said, I would bet $50 that if you brought that gun to Chrono at any major match in the country, no one would notice or bump you to open.  There's no way to prove that gun wasn't purchased as a CZ75 frame and then you simply swapped in a Shadow slide, which would be a Prod-legal configuration.

Edited by ClangClang

Yes its legal, its on the production list as a CZ 75 shadow, which is made by the CZ factory and then re-worked by CZ custom.  I've shot one for a couple years and have had it looked up on the production gun list multiple times at major matches.

It's also IDPA legal as-is for SSP, but most people who modify them to their taste for USPSA production end up doing something that bumps it to ESP for IDPA.  I shot mine in SSP until I beveled out the inside of the magwell, then I shot it in ESP.

That's the pistol I use and prefer, though I use SSI Scales grips because I find the pistol too narrow with the aluminum ones. It's listed as "CZ75  Shadow Black 4.60" barrel (39 oz.)" on the USPSA Production List.

It's good to go for all three divisions: USPSA Production, and IDPA SSP/ESP.

There's a used one on GB right now for $800 + shipping that has the flat SAO trigger swapped in. Going back to the 85 Combat trigger would be another $35. There's also a CZ 75 Shadow Line on GB for just under 1k. It has slightly different sights and the Hi Power cut slide. It was a apparently a specialty item made for IPSC Production rules, but I don't know the details of why they had to do that.