Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 spring tuning, 145 bayou + titegroup

Wiseguy724

Hello all, I finally decided to give the shadow 2 and production division a try and I'm loving it. I just chewed through my first 600 rd match pack from precision delta and the gun ran them without a single hiccup with a 12 lb recoil spring from wolf. I'm ready to start loading my own so while all my 1050 parts are in the mail I figured I would start gathering info for my next load.

I have seen people get away with as little as 3.0 grains of titegroup for 147 gr coated bullets. I will be trying 145 gr round nose from bayou as I've run 6 or 7k of their 180 gr in my limited gun and I am happy with them. I will be starting at 3.0 maybe ending up at 3.2 to leave room for error. I will try and match the OAL of the PD match pack stuff since they fed with 100% reliability. They looked a little long compared to freedom munitions, I'm not exactly sure of the length since I just shot my last ones today, I have another pack on the way to hold me over until my load is dialed in so I'll measure when they arrive.

My main question is where do I need to go with my recoil spring? i bought the wolf spring kit so I can test, but figured I would ask here to see if someone was running a similar load. I am estimating my load will be a touch softer than the precision delta stuff so maybe try the 11 lb, maybe even 10? I also have a polymer buff in there, installed by the previous owner along with a few other cajun parts.

In addition, what is the lightest hammer spring that you can run and reliably set off CCI small pistol primers? (#500)

Thanks, happy to provide more info if needed!

I run a 9lbs recoil spring with a 11.5lbs hammer spring in my S2.  My gun lights up CCI primers.  I can run a 8.5lbs hammer spring with Fed primers only.  My match 147g bullets come from NC Shooters and is a Blue bullet/Fed primer combo.

To answer your question, IMO, 11.5 HS is the lowest you can go for CCI.  Most run a 13 and never look back.

Good luck!

Edited by WxGuy

I second the 11.5b main spring. I run a 10lb recoil spring with my 147gr heads. I know a few that run 11lb recoil springs. I recommend you try out the 2 springs and see which one helps bring the nose of the gun back to where it left from with out undo dipping or having to be forceed back.

22 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

I run 11 lb  recoil spring, and an 8.5   hammer spring 

My load is mixed brass,  federal primers, 3.1 titegroup, 147 bayou,  1.14 oal. Power factor at several level 2 matches has been consistent at 132. 

What made you go with 1.14 OAL vs something a little bit longer?

2 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

That’s what I had for my previous gun and it was accurate in the gun. 

I wound up going with the 145's from bayou for this round, they are a typical round nose profile. Any issues going with the flat point of the 147's? Do you bother with roll sized brass? I know processing or bulge busting was very helpful with 40, don't know if i need to concern myself that much with 9mm as it will be my first time loading this caliber.

37 minutes ago, Wiseguy724 said:

I wound up going with the 145's from bayou for this round, they are a typical round nose profile. Any issues going with the flat point of the 147's? Do you bother with roll sized brass? I know processing or bulge busting was very helpful with 40, don't know if i need to concern myself that much with 9mm as it will be my first time loading this caliber.

I have had no issues with the flat tip bullets. Whatever length you load you can always drop them in to your barrel and see if they spin freely. If they do not you need to shorten the load. I use range brass that has been swept up or picked up. I simply clean it and run it through my square deal press. No other prep needed. I case gauge all my ammo that I use for matches. I’ve ran 5 to 6000 rounds of this without  A single issue of any kind.