Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crack in slide. Should I be concerned?

MJinPA

Detail cleaned my gun tonight for the first time in 20k rounds and discovered this crack by the extractor. Gun is a 2011 in 40. Should I be concerned or just shoot it til it breaks? Not sure of round count as I bought it used. 242f7ae4fdd2997cb8f921e4f860ddd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The picture isn’t clear enough to really see anything... 

But the short answer is, yes.  You should be concerned about a crack in your slide. It needs to be replaced, or it will in the near future. 

Here it is zoomed in. I might just throw some duct tape on it. Seriously though...I’m not in a rush to spend the $ on a new slide, barrel fitting, slide to frame fit, finish etc. Might look into having it welded to get some more mileage 6b0a140e20798d8599b4cf7c30d5b098.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't really tell where the crack is in the pic.

I have seen cracks at the front of the extractor tunnel, on the bottom, and have stop drilled them.  I have a personal pistol that did that and I drilled it.  No problem.

6 hours ago, MadBomber said:

If it's a factory pistol, call STI.  They may be willing to stand behind their product and fix it.  Couldn't hurt to ask.

Not a factory pistol. It's an STI frame but a custom top end and I'm not the original owner. I guess it couldn't hurt to contact the builder to see what he thinks.