Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is This Right Cleats?

Rikarin

You folks are obviously way too interested in speed. <_< Slow down and enjoy the wonderful journey through the stage. I mean who cares about the time anyway? :lol:

(Besides, I hear that cleats will get you killed in the real world.) :ph34r:

Seriously though, I usually just wear light-weight hikers. A beat-up old 4X4 doesn't need racing tires.

• 3 months later...

I just bought my wife a pair of Nike MCS cleats. The cleats appear to be the same as my Land sharks.

Cost a bit under $30 and after 4 hours of practice yesterday on red clay she gives them a thumbs up.

does any body here use soccer cleats for shooting?

Used the same pair of $8.00 bargin bin Adidas low tops for several years. Make your feet hurt on hard surfaces after a while but they will keep you from sliding/falling on your butt.

I've said this here at least a couple times before, but since the incident (and the pain) are still vivid in my mind, here again is my experience with soccer cleats:

Great on gravel, lousy on clay (ruptured my achilles tendon on the last...).

Now I use Merrell's. Aggressive but not too aggressive tread. Good on all surfaces I've tried. I like that the models I wear have a rounded rather than a squared off heel - good for rolling into a step w/o jarring the body as the sole follows the heel plant onto the ground.

Edited by kevin c

I've used soccer cleats for years and love them (I've used Nike and Adidas)...BUT...I use the turf models, sometimes called "hard field" cleats. I go for the ones with sole patterns that are similar to Adidas GSG9 boots (the softer rubber cleats). Never a problem on wet wood props either. To me, a very good all around cleat, though a little harder to find stocked in stores.

I wouldn't recommend using a regular cleated soccer shoe. Cleats are way too hard and unforgiving.

I did just get a pair of JT painball shoes and used them for the first time today. Too early to tell for sure but I was very impressed with them today. It was wet today and I did not slip once, always had good traction. FWIW - our range a fine, clay like, dirt with a layer of gravel over the top (over most of it anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm reading this thread trying to gather information and this is what I have found out...

1- I concur with most of ya'll when you say your feet hurt after a full day of shooting. This was obvious to me too after shooting at last years nationals with my Mazuno hard softball cleats. I even added a nice pair of padded foot insoles prior to the match.

2- It seems as though a "trail shoe" is the way to go. The one I noticed is the Nike Trigo II light hikers?

3- Rikarin+thongs= good

4- Cullen+thongs= bad

5- hard cleats are a bad thing (that's exactly what I currently use)

6- soft cleats are a better option, although they wear out quicker

7- the price of these types of shoes (at least for the landsharks). I'm not sure on the Trigo II light hikers. What do these run, price wise?

It's always a good thing to start thinking about, and I will be doing my research to see if I can improve on my Mazuno's, which by the sounds of it will be an easy task.

I too have found that trail shoes are the best compromise. If you'r going to be shooting somewhere with grass bays though, cleats might be handy to have.

James

Edited by ong45

I did a quick search on Nike.com and they had no listings for the land shark....

The did have something for what the called Blade II Shark (style 310938) which retailed for 60.0.

I also did a search for the Trigo II which came up with nothing. The closest match I had for that name was a shoe called the Nike Takao III (style 312555) which retailed for 50.00.

Are these the shoes you all were talking about?

If not, please advise KUZ I am very interested in picking up some new footwear for next season.

Thanks.

When I was shopping for cleats I started with the cheapest ones on the shelf. After trying them on, I realized there was no way I would want to wear them all day. Moved along to where the shoes got a little more spendy, and found the Adidas Quickslant. Very comfy, lots of traction, under $50, and they make me look good, which is the main thing :P

73.jpg

I like the Easton Rallys if the range is grass/soft ground. They are a fixed metal spike with unparalleled grip....they are about $80 a pair. Would not recommend them for gravel ranges, use the rubber cleats here, mizuno lite blur at about $55

post-6763-1137468841_thumb.jpg

post-6763-1137468862_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrawandDuck