Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

*PPQ OWNERS* Please perform this quick test (potential trigger problem)

Rudukai13

If you own a PPQ (any variant including Q5 SF), I’d like to ask that you perform a quick and simple test regarding pulling the trigger while the gun is out of battery. A PPQ owner on another forum may have identified an issue with the platform where pulling the trigger while the slide is out of battery results in a dead trigger once the slide has returned to battery.

***MAKE SURE YOU CLEAR YOUR PISTOL OF ANY LIVE AMMUNITION BEFORE PERFORMING THESE TESTS***

Test 1: Push the slide rearward slightly so the barrel is out of battery. Allow the slide to return to battery. After the pistol has returned to battery, pull the trigger in a safe direction. Did the gun fire, or was it a dead trigger?

Test 2: Push the slide rearward slightly so the barrel is out of battery. While holding the slide out of battery, pull and release the trigger. Allow the slide to return to battery. After the pistol has returned to battery, pull the trigger in a safe direction. Did the gun fire, or was it a dead trigger?

Test 3: Push the slide rearward slightly so the barrel is out of battery. While holding the slide out of battery, pull and hold the trigger. While holding the trigger, allow the slide to return to battery. After the pistol has returned to battery, release the trigger. Pull the trigger again in a safe direction. Did the gun fire, or was it a dead trigger?

***MAKE SURE YOU CLEAR YOUR PISTOL OF ANY LIVE AMMUNITION BEFORE PERFORMING THESE TESTS***

Please post your results here. Include which PPQ variant you performed your tests with, and what if any modifications have been done to the trigger of your gun

Regular Q5 here. 

If I move the slide any amount without manipulating the trigger, the striker stays cocked and I have a live trigger after allowing the slide to return to battery. 

If I move the slide slightly out of battery and pull the trigger, I can feel/hear the striker release. Regardless of whether I hold or release the trigger, allowing the slide to return to battery doesn’t reset the striker and I have a “dead” trigger. 

If I move the slide farther out of battery and pull the trigger, I don’t feel/hear the striker release and end up with a cocked gun and “live” trigger. 

43 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

Approximately what distance do you have to move the slide rearward before it disengages the trigger and doesn’t allow the striker to release when the trigger is pulled?

Basically the point where I can see a small gap between the breech end of the barrel and the breech face of the slide. I didn’t actually measure the distance though. 

Yesterday I ran up and pushed a trap door open with the muzzle of my SF. It must have pushed it slightly out of battery, because when I pulled the trigger, no boom. Reracked a round and boom. No issues. This is not a test I would suggest, but it's what happened. BTW I won't use the muzzle like that again.

8 minutes ago, ohsevenflhx said:

Yesterday I ran up and pushed a trap door open with the muzzle of my SF. It must have pushed it slightly out of battery, because when I pulled the trigger, no boom. Reracked a round and boom. No issues. This is not a test I would suggest, but it's what happened. BTW I won't use the muzzle like that again.

This strategy is pretty much a no-go with all striker-fired guns. Even with a factory recoil spring you’ll often as not wind up 1/8” out of battery.

It was one of the neat things about switching to a Tanfo Stock 3 back in the day - the dustcover came 100% forward as far as the muzzle. You can use the muzzle as a door-opening spear all you like.

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

This strategy is pretty much a no-go with all striker-fired guns. Even with a factory recoil spring you’ll often as not wind up 1/8” out of battery.

It was one of the neat things about switching to a Tanfo Stock 3 back in the day - the dustcover came 100% forward as far as the muzzle. You can use the muzzle as a door-opening spear all you like.

I just moved from a CZ Tac Sport to the SF. I'm still learning new things. 

5 minutes ago, ohsevenflhx said:

I just moved from a CZ Tac Sport to the SF. I'm still learning new things. 

Yup. Your gun had a fun frontend like my tanfo. Bashing it into things didn’t drive the slide rearward because the dustcover took the hit. ;) 

860292AE-E2EA-4A67-BB7E-39807B2900CB.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

41 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Interesting. I did this at a match somewhat recently with my Q5 without causing an issue. Maybe I got lucky. 

14 minutes ago, DKorn said:

Fairly light door. Normalish recoil spring. I believe I’m running a 13lb spring, if I remember correctly which one I settled on. 

That makes sense. If you haven’t actually noticed it, you’ll be surprised how easily you can push the slide slightly out of battery when the striker is cocked. That 13lb spring really needs a running start to consistently run the slide fully into battery.

On a striker gun, the 5.5-6 pound striker spring is pushing rearward on the slide, while the recoil spring pushes forward. 13lb minus 5.5 means just 7-8 pounds of effective spring pressure.

(Dryfire the gun and you’ll feel the increase in forward pressure on the in-battery slide if you try to tug it backward a little bit, once the striker is released. ;) )

On a hammer gun like a CZ or Tanfo you don’t have anything playing tug-of-war against your recoil spring, and the slide also has to be driven THROUGH the hammer spring as it’s cocked, helping to decelerate it.

That’s why we run recoil springs in DA/SA guns which are so much lighter than the ones you use in striker-fired guns. I ran an 8lb recoil spring in my Tanfoglio.

Edited by MemphisMechanic