Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gauging Reloads

dajarrel

Hey guys,

An earlier post about keeping several thousand rounds of any given caliber on hand got me thinking about running your rounds through a gauge.

Maybe I have become anal about it but I gauge check every round I reload. My desire is to have "zero" ammo related problems on the range. I cause enough problems on my own :D

Thanks for your input.

dj

I am not familiar with the term "gauge round" how about an update?

Edited by movaughn

They are referring to using a case gauge to see if the casing is bulged or will not fit into the barrel. I only gauge for big matches and use the barrel of my gun. It is the best way because the case gauge will not be the same size as the barrel.

To insure the case gauge diameter is smaller than your barrel chamber insert a fired case (from the handgun) into the gauge, if it binds/drags in the case gauge, the gauge diameter is less than you the barrel chamber, if it (fired case) drops freely into the case gauge the case gauge has a diameter slightly larger than your barrel chamber and may not be a good indication of properly sized round.

I case gage every round as I box the reloads (most times I will load several thounsands of rounds at one loading session). It does not take me that much extra time and by gaging and by boxing rounds I am able to check for high primers and ensure if I have a malunction it will not be ammunition related.

I never gaged rounds. Part of my pre-stage routine was to visually examine every round as I loaded it into the magazine. Of course I got to be pretty good at eliminating suspect rounds by looking at them. I felt this also kept me a little better grounded, rather than just mindlessly cramming rounds in the mag.

be

I figure whether I'm going to drive 30 minutes or 3 hours to a match, why take the chance that a round doesn't fit the barrel or ends up hanging in a mag because the bullet didn't get seated good.

Drop it in, let it fall out, while putting them into my ammo boxes; ll that the same time checking diameter, case head, and primer seating. Each round takes less than a second and I believe its worth the time and effort regardless of whether its practice or match.

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting the 9X23 as I do, I'm not aware of a gauge that is available in that caliber, so I use a "dirty" barrel to "barrel-drop" anything that's gonna be shot in competition of any kind. Then after the ammo's been boxed, I check for primers and press for loose seating before marking the stuff to make it easier to get back my brass. I never shoot "range pickup" brass, so any problems are pretty much mine.

Alan~^~