Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video Camera Views

harley45

I was all set to purchase the samsung sports camcorder this weekend (the one with the hosercam option to use as a training aid but I got top thinking is the behind the gun view really the best one to use as a training aid? or is a more traditional view better. I want your opinions!!

Thanks Eric

P.S. i have also thought about buying both and having my wife film me at matches and then splicing the two different views together in my editing program.

While I like the Hoser-Cam view (and have learned a lot from it), Travis once told me that a 'standard' view is a little better to see whats' going on, especially if you're working on movement and such.

Edited by shred

The option to see/review from the shooter POV is still great because it allows you to replay certain details you might have missed in the action. Combine that with the "peanut gallery view" and it'll make for a very enlightening performance review.

I'm drooling over the new Sanyo Xacti cam. No recurring cost on storage media, takes great pictures, costs less than the wife's cellphone and small enough to be ductaped to my muffs. :P

Click on image for review.

c5_front_blk.jpg

I have not had the pleasure of using a hoser cam yet. I want one!

Anyway, we started out filming all our stuff up close. That was great for draws, grip, reload evaluation. But now we are filming a bit more to get the foot work and transitions. I think both are important. On classifiers I still film just the upper body to get detail on my technique there.

I think the hoser cam would show things like transitions really well. As this is one of my weak points I think it is next on my things to get.

Ira

It's probably best to decide what you need to work on or at least what you want to see and set up this view. Over the shoulder or hosercam view is good for noting any missed shots, especially on steel. A side view will give a better indication of stance although rigging a remote camera on a tripod downrange may do it better. A view from behind the shooter is good on more active courses to show the stage solution while a close up view of reaction targets going down is very entertaining. If someone else is going to run the camera for you, ask them to focus on different aspects to make sure you get what you want.

You may want them to start from one side to get your reaction and draw and then move behind you to pick up the stage solution.

Tape is cheap so shoot a lot of it. The only caveat is battery life. It sucks to have your battery die on the last stage of a good match only to find out you have several minutes of belly video from forgetting to tun the camera off after a previous stage.

My 2 cents,

John

Note that neither the hosercam nor the posercam are aligned with the sights of the gun-- you won't be able to tell what shots went where unless you can see the holes created in the targets (not likely at any decent range). You will be able to see gross transition and misalignments fine.

Hmm .. A camera that mounts on the light rails every gun seems to have now. .... And then you can have the camera feed into you shooting glasses with a crosshair .. We are gonna need a new division.

My budy and I hand hold the a small digital camcorder for each other. The angle is generally whatever gives you most info for that stage layout.

Hmm .. A camera that mounts on the light rails every gun seems to have now.  .... And then you can have the camera feed into you shooting glasses with a crosshair .. We are gonna need a new division.

I toyed with rail-mounting the my PoserCam, but it was pretty uninteresting for general consumption since I couldn't see the gun... all you get is a view of the targets interrupted by recoil. With a dot or something coaxial, it might be more useful.

With a heads-up display you could shoot targets without indexing them, but I'm not sure that's usually a good thing.

Edited by shred

TRY THIS.

http://www.wirelessmicrocolorcam.com/estore/index.php

ITS LIGHT, COMPACT AND INEXPENSIVE.

That's basically what my PoserCam system is made of. With some tweaking it works OK but is still a little finicky. Nolan's HoserCam setup is much better in that regard (and I think the new ones have better video quality as well)

some comments and samples:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...829&hl=posercam

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...029&hl=posercam

Edited by shred

TRY THIS.

Does the receiver run on batteries, in addition to AC? If not, I'd have to connect an inverter to the lighter jack in my car, connect it to the receiver, hook it to my camcorder, then try to find a way to pause the camcorder when I'm not shooting.

With a battery rig I could leave it with my bag and use the camcorder's remote to start recording before I step to the line.

Has Nolan Smyth thought about making a Hosercam with a 480 line or higher resolution cam? Probably wouldn't cost that much more.

Does the receiver run on batteries, in addition to AC? If not, I'd have to connect an inverter to the lighter jack in my car, connect it to the receiver, hook it to my camcorder, then try to find a way to pause the camcorder when I'm not shooting.

With a battery rig I could leave it with my bag and use the camcorder's remote to start recording before I step to the line.

The reciever does not have a battery-- I use a smallish SLA & voltage reg for that and charge it at night. You need an RF remote to be sure you trigger it correctly. 99% of the time I end up just editing out the idle time later on, since I have an IR remote. Start the recorder when you're 'on deck', and stop it when you get done with scoring.

Edited by shred

TRY THIS.

Has Nolan Smyth thought about making a Hosercam with a 480 line or higher resolution cam? Probably wouldn't cost that much more.

Yes, I've tried about $2,000 worth of different "better" cameras and they really weren't all that much better. Some had a better color balance, some had faster exposure adjustments, most had a sharper better image. Most of them did not have sound or had such bad sound that I had to build a microphone & amp.

Then there are the Digital Video Recorders that I've tried for wired (no transmitter/receiver) use. I have $900 worth of Lyra's and Archos's that just really aren't what I want.

Yeah, probably wouldn't cost that much more! :P

Nolan

Just another Silly Person!

• 4 weeks later...