Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7.62X39 AR Upper

jhgtyre

Just to give anybody still following this thread an update:

24 grains of AA#2200 shoots well. I got 5 rounds into about 1.5 inches at fifty yards. Yeah, an AK isn't a benchrest rifle. Still, that'd be 3" at 100 with iron sights.

24 grains of AA#2200 puts out a 174 grain .312 RN bullet at an average of 1830 fps. That's very very close to making MAJOR! I will try to go up half and grain and a full grain and see if that'll do it. Primers on the 24 grain load are looking a little flat but nothing alarming. I will also try a Sierra 180 spire point when I get the chance. And I still want to try VV-130.

On another note, I am in the process of moving from Colorado to Arizona so the 7.62x39 loading will be on the back burner for several months.

Andrew

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tokarev

I'm interested in your x39 tests and have been following your thread.

If you're doing your testing out of an AK the barrel is probably about 16" long right? If so, the velocity would go up maybe 20 or 25 fps per inch of additional barrel length. Would having a 20" barrel put it in major?

What was the felt recoil like? Did you notice a substantial difference that would affect quick follow up shots?

Mickster,

Yes. I'm using a 16" barrel on the AK. I would like to try my load in an RPK but don't have one. I do have an SKS that has an 18" barrel if I remember correctly but really haven't thought about testing it since an SKS wouldn't be too useful for IPSC stuff. I think a 20" barrel might do the trick.

Once I get settled in here in Arizona I'll get back to working on this.

Andrew (Tokarev)

• 4 months later...

This idea of making 7.62x39 ammo go major with a power factor of 340 doesn't seem to be all that impossible to attain.

I chronoed the Wolf 154gr Soft Point out of my 16" AR to get a five shot minimum of 2125 and maximum of 2157 with an average of 2145.

2157 makes a PF of 332. That's not all that far away from major. I wonder if just doing it with a 20" barrel would make it? Anybody got an AR with a 20" x39 barrel and willing to give it a try?

I don't know what kind of powder Wolf uses (I do know it smells funny) but somehow that little case is getting that heavier bullet out pretty fast and still staying within SAAMI specs (I hope).

this is a great thread! i wonder if using something just a little slower than 1680 would be the ticket for the 150 gr. bullets? was arguing this with a pro reloader, cause' i thought that 7.62x39 was a low pressure round(>40,000psi), but he brought out a book of saami specs, and had all the loads at about 50,000. so much for the 7.62x39 being a low pressure(ala 30-30)round! it's just that the big bolt carrier right in front of my nose makes me a bit more aware........ :blink:

The highest velocity from published ( as in pressure tested ) data I have run across for 150 gr. bullet was from H322 28.5 max., 2190 fps. 36,360 psi. 24" bbl.

This is a compressed load, and I happen to have some loaded, not yet tested.

Travis F.

I bought a can of Vhita 130, which should be a good choice for the 7.62x39 major project. I've got some Sierra 150- and 180-grain soft points and will be using brass with a large primer pocket. Now all I need is some spare time.

Just my .O2 on powder selection for heavier bullets.

H335, BLC2, and, W748 look really good as far as burn rate , and volume of charge.

All dense, and somewhere close to the optimum burn rate ( I am guessing ).

Some other powders take up too much space in the case, with the longer heavier bullets.

Don't know much about N130, might be good too.

Travis F.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, no R&D here either.

I chronoed the 154 Wolfsky out of my 16" AR and it made an average PF of 326. The next hill to climb is to determine if shooting a major AR is any more or less competitive than a minor AR.

Could be interesting. Definetely could be fun.

Back to R&D again.

• 2 months later...

Interesting that the new PF at 320 allows the factory 6.8mm REM SPC to make major, wonder if a lot of ARs will start to show in 3 gun mathces in this caliber... Some of the 6.5 Grendel loads make it too...

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried the DPMS Franken-Mag 7.62x39?

Has anyone found another magazine for 7.62x39 that works reliably in the AR?

The magazines seem to be the only major hurdle to shooting 7.62x39 in an AR platform. If they work reliably it would be a cheap alternative to 6.8 spc.

Will

I plan on using my Krebs KTR-03V for three gun stuff. With a drum mag in place, I won't have to worry about the slow reloads and lack of a bolt hold-open.

Now I just need time to shoot!

• 1 month later...

Yes, I have and they work excellent on my 7.62x39 Colt system.

I have 2 different set ups for 7.62x39 major rifle.

One is for SAO division and one is for MAO division.

AR-47

ar47_4.jpg

Same AR-47 rifle with different set up

ar47perus.jpg

DPMS Pump Rifle in 7.62x39 caliber

dpmspump1.jpg

I like AR-47 is better because of larger selection of magazines.

You can use 5 to 75 round magazines and all work excellent.

It also has all AR-15 advantages like modularity.

You can use almost all AR-15 accesories with it.(rails, tubes, grips, stocks, trigger parts etc.)

My Ar-47 upper receiver and bolt carrier modification is made by Freedom Enterprises in NC

Side charger upper receiver is manufactured by Socom Mfg.

Franken mags work excellent in my pump rifle but I have tested them as semi auto also and there is nothing to worry about.

My competition gun is DPMS Pump rifle in this season.

BTW DPMS has 7.62x39 AR-15 rifles for sale with franken mags.

I had one 7.62x39 barreled upper from DPMS and accuracy was excellent.

I have ever had such accurate 7.62x39 barrel before.

Ps. You can put 2 franken mags together with mag ginch and you will have 70 rd capasity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
E-mailed DPMS last week...they are out of the 'Frankenmags' and their supplier is no longer producing the thing. :angry:

Any more ideas?

What's the going rate for an AR47 lower? You could buy a new lower and use it with your 7.62 upper. AK mags are cheap and you could use a drum mag if you were so inclined. You could probably sell your AR-15 lower easily or use it with a different upper.

Wasn't there a picture of some dude using a 7.62x39 AR with a drum magazine in a recent issue of "Front Sight?"

• 2 weeks later...

Retail price for AR-47 lower is $350

You need to make some modification to your normal 7.62x39 AR15 upper.

You can find some info here:

www.ar47.com

Check www.gunbroker.com for Franken Mags

They have couple 7.62x39 Colt uppers for sale also.

Here is my newest 7.62x39 modified Colt upper

Specs:

Colt 16" 7.62x39 barrel

Benny Cooley compensator

DPMS ventilated free float tube

JP Rifles gas block

Harris bipod

ARMS #38 ext rail

Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4 red triangle scope

IOR Valdada quick detachable rings

Mag Pul 93 stock

Colt H buffer and spring

SPR grip

JP Rifles trigger parts

Redi Mag

Colt LE6920 lower receiver

And best of all it runs like champ :D

BTW those Franken Mags holds 34 rounds without problems :P

Colt762_1.jpg

Was the Cooley Comp special made for your Colt x39 upper?

I have the Colt x39 upper mated to an Oly lower using the frankenmags, but have not had much luck finding a comp because the threads on the end are different than a .223 Colt.

It's competitive out to 200 and makes major with the Wolf 154 factory ammo if that means anything.

I think it would be interesting to find out on what type of stage shooting a major caliber rifle would be of any benefit. Like maybe all IPSC targets at 50 to 100 yards where the times would be close but points could make a difference?

Anybody got a calculator and knows how to figure this stuff out?