Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bowling Pin Loads

DougBarnes101

Looking for some input on how to improve the load I am using to shoot bowling pins and I knew that someone (or several someones) here would have the answer. (Or at least some good suggestions.

We are shooting bowling pins at the local club. I am using my USPSA load of 185 gr Precision bullets at a 170 power factor. This load clears the table pretty good until the pins start collecting lead and then it just wants to knock them over and it takes several more rounds to clear the table. I have some 200 gr Precision SWC and some 250 gr round nose flat points. I would like to try these at about a 180 to 185 power factor. Anybody got an idea of where to start this load with Clays? (It's the powder I have on hand) If not I am open to other suggestions.

Or would I be better off to use the 200 gr SWC and boost the power factor on those?

I am shooting a S&W 625. I need to sent this to Randy Lee for some chamfering of the cylinders and some trigger work but it may have to be a Christmas present to myself. The reason I would like to try the RNFP is that I think it might help my reloads as they have a tendency to hang up with the SWC I am using now.

I would appreciate any advise that anyone could offer. I am thanking everyone in advance for their help.

I'd go with a JHP or big SWC-style bullet. That helped me and my 610 a lot. The Precision 200 and 220 bullets were OK, but 180gr Golden Sabers were better. I had a vague feeling that the black coating on the precisions helped them to grease off a pin when hit at angles.

Edited by shred

When I had a .45, my pin loads were a 200gr cast swc over 8 grains of AA #5. I don't remember the pf on them, but heavy pins weren't a problem.

I'll ask some of the .45 shooters what they're using on Thursday when we lower the pin tables again!

Ray

A good Pin Load can be built using the .45 cal 235 gr. SWC from R&R bullets. I like 7.1 of V V N350. About 204 PF. Use a 230 ball or FMJ for reloads when required if you use a revolver. 200 gr SWC in .40 work well too. And in the .357 revolvers, the 230 WC is the medicine.

cheers,

Norm

Remember that the 625 is going to have some special issues. You won't get away with everything that will run in an auto.

Unburned powder flakes under the extractor are Bad JuJu. Think 25lb trigger.

231 did not work for me. :(

You're also thinking a bit light. The threshold most shooters went for at Second Chance was a 195PF. The classic load was the Speer 200 gr JHP over 6.3 of WW-231. The bullet is no longer made, and 231 is a bit dirty.

But that should give you a starting point.

There was also much argument between velocity and mass. The V shooters wanted 185s and 200s at supersonic velocities. The M shooters wanted 255s and 265s at 195PF or higher. Me, I tried both and found they both worked but I liked the recoil feel of the heavies.

Hmmmm, off the top of my head :ph34r:

230-235 gr lead bullet, 5.0gr Titegroup runs 200PF

5.9 W231 with 230LRN is good as well as between 6.0 - 6.5 Unique with same bullet. I really liked the 235 Pinbuster with the 5.0 of Titegroup. I ran a realfast 10Pin table in Topton with that load! Ah the good old days.... :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My best load was a 200gr Speer GDHP over ,if memory serves me right,(i dont have the load with me at the moment)7.2grs VV340.

The GDHP has a wide mouth on it and will bite into the pin when hit,My last 2 bowling pin matches were shot with this load and it will clear the table no problem.The speer bulets are pricy but worth the extra money.

My PF was around 210.

This is a hot load,and it was out of a 45acp custom built pin gun. A 45acp is the caliber to use on bowling pins with the right load its like hitting them with a sledge hammer.