Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips for fitting a steel grip

dansedgli

I've spent the last few nights trying to get my cheely grip on being very careful not to over do it. 

I'm a hair away from it being right and I still cant get the front grip screw in. It goes in 1 side but on an angle so doesnt come out the other side. 

Any tips on where else could need filing or how to check? 

Ive used marking blue everywhere and tried to use playdoh to find any high spots but I cant find any. 

When do you give up and ream out the front grip screw hole? 

I can see light at the circled areas when I have just the right angle, I can only get a .002 feeler gauge in there. 

SmartSelect_20190826-083642_Gallery.jpg

Edited by dansedgli

Is it hitting at any of the circled areas? Also does the front of the grip fit into the recess of the frame above the trigger guard? 

I have fitted 3 and sometimes it doesn't exactly match the recess. 

Also if it's not laying flush, how did you get a nut and screw in the grip to the frame to lineup?

Edited by echotango

It isn't touching where it is circled and but it is very close. A .003 feeler gauge doesn't fit between the frame and grip at the middle circle.  

I had to cut down the trigger guard to fit into the recess. There is clearance all around it now and it won't seat any deeper.

I feel like if I could get that .002 closed up my front grip screw would line up but at this point, I'd be filing randomly and hoping for the best. 😕

2 hours ago, echotango said:

Also if it's not laying flush, how did you get a nut and screw in the grip to the frame to lineup?

Sorry I missed this. Both bushings fit in, the slidestop side is easier to push in than the other but even with the bushings and screws in there is a slight gap. 

Thanks for that Assaulter, I will have a look at that tonight. I did not think to check that tab's depth. 

Thanks Assaulter, now I can get the front grip screw in if I put it in before the main grip screws but there is lots of tension on it. 

The front of the grip wants to pull down when I tighten up the rear grip screws. 

Still a bit of work to do but I am closer. 

Did you whack the frame with a rubber mallet several times to see other contact?

my experience and guess is the ridge in the frame and/or grip above the trigger guard and above the screw isn’t allowing the front to seat.  It’s usually sand blasted on both halves and almost impossible to fin with Dykem unless you try to seat it good with a plastic mallet..

if thats not the issue, then you just need to alignment ream the front screw.  There are varying opinions on how important that screw is to begin with but I prefer to use it

15 hours ago, drewbeck said:

Did you whack the frame with a rubber mallet several times to see other contact?

my experience and guess is the ridge in the frame and/or grip above the trigger guard and above the screw isn’t allowing the front to seat.  It’s usually sand blasted on both halves and almost impossible to fin with Dykem unless you try to seat it good with a plastic mallet..

if thats not the issue, then you just need to alignment ream the front screw.  There are varying opinions on how important that screw is to begin with but I prefer to use it

Thanks Drewbeck, I've hit it with a mallet quite a bit. 

There are small bumps on the frame around the front grip screw tab but I think the the frame is cut around them and they are level with the rest of the frame.

If I get time I'll take some photos tonight. I am getting rubbing from the one in front of the grip screw tab. It's a small raised square but I don't think that is the problem because I can get the front grip screw to slot in without tension before I put the rear grip screws in. I think it is just rubbing as the grip slides on at a slight angle before seating. 

I have been using a sharpie to mark it, maybe I need to find some proper layout fluid. Would that transfer better? I can't find dykem anywhere close to me. 

Could the square area around be large grip screw be too tall for your frame?

That would be hard to see as it would most likely not leave a mark. 

It would make it not be able to go all the way up and not letting the front of the grip go all the way up also. 

Edited by echotango

If you look really close you can see the gap in the back of grip and frame. Otherwise the grip fits perfect (at least I think) I have seen that rear gap on other pistols as well. It bugs me but everything functions as it should. 6a1937ab6af4cc0aaea8b092dcbb2b68.jpgdfd43937c0fa1fe9a9f09738e9c515a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk