Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Emptying primer magazine

This just popped up recently. The answers where pretty much all leave them there.

If your looking to do a conversion. just size and prime cases until primers are gone. Throw them in a ziplock with the rest of your clean cases

If you have a 550 throw them in station 1 and rotate before pulling

650 throw them in station 2 and yank the handle and manually feed till they are gone.

42 minutes ago, GregInAtl said:

I still have about 30 primers in the primer magazine left from my last session of reloading  What is the easiest way to get them out without spilling primers all over the place

Helps to specify which press. They all work very differently.

But yes. Leave them in the press for a few months and they’ll still run just fine.

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Helps to specify which press. They all work very differently.

But yes. Leave them in the press for a few months and they’ll still run just fine.

XL650, sorry about that. I was on the Dillon Forum earlier and they have a separate forum for 650 and 550, I forgot where I was, seems to be happening a lot these days ☹️. I have a 550b too and yeah, your right they are both totally different primer magazine

In that case, I loaded on the 650 for 10 years… This was my process… 

In your situation? I would prime empty cases until I ran out of primers and set this primed & sized brass aside in a small box.

Then I’d resize another dozen or so pieces of brass (which are unprimed) and toss them into another box.

Next time you’re loading and a primer gets crushed or is missing, toss that piece of brass in the trash. Now you can place a pre-primed case into that station and resume loading.

Likewise, if you spot a .380 in place of a 9mm, or stepped brass, or a case arrives smushed by the sizing die or with a torn mouth, toss it and replace it with unprimed resized brass. Boom. The primer sitting in that station now has somewhere to go! I usually went months (thousands of rounds) without a primer ever sliding down the ski-jump this way.

To end normal reloading sessions, I’d flip the casefeeder off when the low primer buzzer sounded. Then carefully load ammo til the primer station went dry and you felt the handle goes effortlessly forward.

At that point I’d dump the cases in the tube back into the casefeeder, and then resize the half-dozen or so pieces of brass left in the machine. This restocks your supply of sized brass with empty pockets for your next reloading session and also empties the entire machine.

(Eventually, I started leaving the press full of all components. I simply stop pulling the handle and walk away. I prefer loading 50 rounds each night to loading 500-1,000 the night before a match... so the handle is always ready for a pull.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On the 650 you can also actuate the primer actuator over and over again and use a magnet to pick them up as they slide down the chute. I put this on

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Original-Dillon-XL-650-Missed-LIVE-Primer-Chute-Ski-Jump-Fix-Upgrade-BLUE/272968060181?hash=item3f8e2a0d15:g:gI0AAOSwNSxU3qak:sc:USPSFirstClass!08535!US!-1

Load the last 30 rounds (or at least prime some pieces of brass like MM said).

I never leave components in the press.  It seems like I get more consistent powder drops by running a batch of ammo and then emptying all the components each loading session.  I always load in multiples of 100 as well, thereby not leaving any primers in the chute.  My loading sessions usually occur once every 3-4 weeks and I'll make 1000 at a time.

3 hours ago, V2plus25 said:

Load the last 30 rounds (or at least prime some pieces of brass like MM said).

I never leave components in the press.  It seems like I get more consistent powder drops by running a batch of ammo and then emptying all the components each loading session.  I always load in multiples of 100 as well, thereby not leaving any primers in the chute.  My loading sessions usually occur once every 3-4 weeks and I'll make 1000 at a time.

I usually don't either, except powder. But what happened is the decapping pin bent on the sizing die and I haven't had time to fix it. I still have 30 primers in the magazine