Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Self-timing from low ready?

RickT

My wife and practice 2x/week (steel challenge) and she has switched exclusively to rimfire.  I can time her runs, but she also wants to be able to time herself.  She doesn't wear a belt and a timer at belt level isn't very convenient for low ready starts.  I have a Pocket Pro II and CED 7000.  I'm thinking the 7000 around her neck activated by her trigger hand would work, but I'm open to suggestions.  

I use a PACT timer with a cord that I can hang around my next, and lay it on my center chest. It's set for Delay. I assume the Low Ready firing position (long gun or pistol... Steel Challenge A Class in RFRO/PCCO/RFPO) and once there I shift the support hand to hit the timer ON. I have 3 seconds to get that hand back into position for the BEEP. It works for me better than a belt, because the movement of the support hand is less, and I don't have to fumble on the belt.

YMMV😊

I do think around the neck is the only solution especially for rifle.  A timer on a weak-side table probably wouldn't register a 5 to Go stop plate.  We sill experiment on Tuesday, one of our regular practice days.

On a slightly different note I should have married a taller woman:)  When she times me during matches (I obviously time myself during practice) it's hard for her to get the timer in good position without either a)getting hit by my elbow (SS) or b)getting hit by an ejecting case (PCCO), but we're working on it.

Edited by RickT