Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Life expectancy and routine replacement of parts

nelson1each

Been shooting open a year now. Recent events have me wondering what the life expectancy of parts are...like the barrel, slide, springs etc. Also wondering when you guys do proactive maintenance and replace things. 

Currently I have been breaking down the slide for a cleaning and rotation of aftec springs at 2,500 round intervals.

Breaking down the entire gun top as listed above, replacing recoil spring and bottom for a cleaning at 5,000 round intervals. 

Any input/advise is appreciated 

I tear down the slide for cleaning about every 500. Bottom end comes apart every 1k or so. Grip comes off the frame before reaching 5k. Touch up my trigger every 5k or so. 

I never replace springs other than an occasional Aftec.

Barrels should make it to 75k minimum and much more typically. 

Slides go until they crack. 

Basically, I clean my gun all the time, constantly inspect hard parts, constantly tweak fits, and never replace springs. 

13 hours ago, nelson1each said:

Any input/advise is appreciated 

Recoil and firing pin spring every 5000 rounds. I have never replaced my Aftec springs and they have over 50K rounds. I also clean on a regular basis. Top half every 500 rounds. Bottom half every 4000 rounds. It's not that hard to tear the gun completely down after you do it a few times. I use STI mags in my 38 Super Trubor and have never replaced the springs or followers and they have about 25K rounds thru them. Still feeds well and won't touch them until I get any indication of weakening. Glad you joined the wonderful world of open.

I shot two entire seasons with my chrome Open gun and MBX mags.  The only thing I ever did was clean after every shoot.  Major disassembly and ultrasonic cleaning of everything two or three times a year.