Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ISMI 15 vs 13 # length for Gen 5

Zoomie517

Need some help from the vets here please. Running a Double Diamond Tungsten Rod and 15# ISMI Spring in my 34/5. 

I called and ordered a 13# spring and was clear that it was for a Gen 5. The 13 arrived and is shorter by a little over a 1/4 inch. 

Is this a gen 4 spring or did ISMI just clip a couple of coils to spec 13 #’s? 

Thanks in advance. 

I don’t run ISMI springs, and I’m not a spring expert.  I run wolf in my glocks and have learned that spring length is dependent on weight, and springs compress with use.

FWIW I run 12lb wolf in all my gen4  and gen5, change them every 3,000 rnds.  

Edited by CharlieD

Thank you! I’m not a machinist nor a mechanical engineer. From my ignorant perspective, it seems that identical wire is used and then coil number varies depending on spring weight. 

Shooting my first Steel Challenge today and breaking the First Commandment of match shooting. 

“Thou shalt not make changes prior to a match without testing. 

OK. Let’s be an idiot and try anyway. 

It's my understanding that springs are sometimes shorter or longer depending on wieght and manufacturer. I've seen heavier springs be shorter than lighter ones by the same company even when both were new. 

I wouldn't worry about it. 

FWIW, I run the same set up and it's been 💯!

Edited by B_RAD

4 hours ago, CharlieD said:

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

It's my understanding that springs are sometimes shorter or longer depending on wieght and manufacturer. I've seen heavier springs be shorter than lighter ones by the same company even when both were new. 

I wouldn't worry about it. 

FWIW, I run the same set up and it's been 💯!

Thank you!

Yes they do. I originally got my Double Diamond Tungsten Rod with a 15 # ismi flat spring. It was listed as being specifically for Gen 5. I don’t have a Gen 4 to compare to but could have sworn I read that springs for Gen 5 are a little longer because of the way the Gen 5 cycles and locks up. Again I THOUGHT I read this. 

3 hours ago, Zoomie517 said:

Yes they do. I originally got my Double Diamond Tungsten Rod with a 15 # ismi flat spring. It was listed as being specifically for Gen 5. I don’t have a Gen 4 to compare to but could have sworn I read that springs for Gen 5 are a little longer because of the way the Gen 5 cycles and locks up. Again I THOUGHT I read this. 

I don't believe they make springs specific for the Gen 5. The guide rod is specific. The spring is the same. Because the spring is the same and the length where the spring sits in the gun is a longer space, the spring is preloaded(compressed while in battery) less.  That's why most people find that for the Gen 5 guns, they need one wieght higher than in previous gens. This is too ensure complete in battery lock up.  

Yeah if you bought it as a guide rod and spring combo it's probably just the guide rod that's specifically for Gen 5 and the spring is same as all other generations. There should be springs made for the Gen 5 as pre load with existing springs will be less than it's supposed to be, but I don't know of anyone making Gen 5 springs now, and sounds like the regular springs are working well enough for most people so far.

• 1 month later...

Question.

I have the same guide rod.  Do you guys find that the guide rod doesn't seem to sit properly once the gun Is assembled?  When in battery, the guide rod appears to be pointing up.

The gun cycles and functions fine so im thinking that perhaps im over thinking this...

2 hours ago, Magsz said:

Question.

I have the same guide rod.  Do you guys find that the guide rod doesn't seem to sit properly once the gun Is assembled?  When in battery, the guide rod appears to be pointing up.

The gun cycles and functions fine so im thinking that perhaps im over thinking this...

I have seen it shift from the first step to the second step. Never an issue. Have also had the same thing happen in my other Glocks with captured guide rods. I May be seating it too deeply. 

SPeaking with great ignorance, I believe it to be a non-issue and in no way related to the guide rod.