Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY 1911 Trigger Job

Titanium is not all the same, and the stuff I've encountered in gun parts has been crap.  Titanium struts tend to flex and give a mushy trigger.  The light weight doesn't help with anything so you're better off sticking with steel.  Same for MS cap. 

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Titanium is not all the same, and the stuff I've encountered in gun parts has been crap.  Titanium struts tend to flex and give a mushy trigger.  The light weight doesn't help with anything so you're better off sticking with steel.  Same for MS cap. 

👍

even if that was true, I dont see how strut flex would make a mushy trigger. Its gonna flex to its load and sit there, the sear hammer interface is where its at. 
The light weight in theory speeds up lock time. I'm not good enough for it to matter. But I know for a fact it helps ignition. Steel parts no worky with Wolf primers,  same spring, titanium,,, work good lasslongtime, granted my parts are over 15 years old,, so that could be an issue.

The mush from the strut results from everything being connected.  The mainspring puts pressure on the whole assembly via the strut connected to the hammer, which is in contact with the sear, disconnect and trigger.  If you have enough experience working with triggers, you can definitely feel it.  Just like if you have a titanium trigger bow, although those are far more noticeable.  I don't know what ti parts you're using, but I've seen enough that were peened, gouged, bent or broken to realize that they aren't as strong or durable as quality steel parts.  But really, if that's what you're using and you're happy with them, that's fine.  On the shorter lock time, if you (or anyone else) can tell the difference in a couple thousandths of a second, that's pretty amazing.