Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tumbling large amounts of brass

8 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

When tumbling the larger amounts of brass is better to dry tumble or wet tumble? If wet tumbling is better then where would be a good source for getting stainless steel pins?

They have a guy on eBay that sells pins at a very good price. I think I paid $10 per 5lb bag of pins and it was free shipping. Maybe cheaper than that. It was way less than others selling the same pins. 

Wet will always be shinier. and it will always be debated whether shiny is necessary. I like Shiny

How many pins are we talking? you can get away with 1 lb of pins to 1 lb of brass but your better off with a little extra on the pins say 5lbs to 4 lbs

https://shop.guntap.com/stainless-steel-tumbling-pins-media-0-255-x-0-047/

these guys seem to be cheep but Ive never used em

On 8/20/2019 at 8:07 PM, Gomar83 said:

When tumbling the larger amounts of brass is better to dry tumble or wet tumble? If wet tumbling is better then where would be a good source for getting stainless steel pins?

Easiest would be Brass Juice with no pins. You can even just soak the brass in a bucket if you don't have a large enough tumbler. I do 3,000-5,000 cases at a time in a 2.5 gal bucket this way normally, but it would be easy to scale up to a 5 gal bucket for larger quantities. I was using a citric acid soak but recently switched to Brass Juice, it does the same job but better. 

17 minutes ago, Gomar83 said:

So how does the Brass Juice work? Is it a soak and rinse?

Yeah. I think most people are still wet tumbling with it, just without pins, but it does work well to just soak the brass in it without tumbling, it just takes longer. I think I soaked my last batch for about an hour, then rinsed; cases came out shiny and clean. It's pretty simple, and I was very impressed with the results after using a citric acid soak for a number of years. 

You can drain off the Brass Juice solution and re-use it too. 

On 8/22/2019 at 10:24 PM, Gomar83 said:

So how does the Brass Juice work? Is it a soak and rinse?

I wet tumble with Brass Juice, no pins. Run my FART 30-40 minutes and brass comes out pretty clean. After resizing I clean off lube in my FART with Blue Coral car wash soap and no pins. Really looks nice after and all the lube is gone.