Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 not picking up a round after slide lock reload

IHAVEGAS

Maybe 20,000 ish rounds on the gun, and original followers and springs in all mags. 

Anybody else had the issue come up over time and then fixed it?

Slide closes without operation of the slide release on insertion of the mag, but apparently a bit too soon. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

You say slide closes to soon: Check the part of slide stop that contacts notch in slide to see if it's worn/rounded. Check the slide notch that contacts slide stop. Make sure follower is pushing slide stop all the way up.

Noticed a bit of rounding here, may explain the issue, filed it to square the edge after taking the photo. 

Slide shows no wear pattern so it looks like Tanfo did the smart thing and made the slide harder than the slide stop. 

slide.thumb.jpg.77ea818ef29e9b783f277c2d07341769.jpg

11 hours ago, johnbu said:

It sounds like the notch in the slide is rounded over so the slide slips off the release too easily.  Just a guess.

48 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

Have you tried installing +10% magazine springs? 20k rounds sounds like enough cycles on the springs to warrant replacement.

Good thoughts. I'm going to see what resquaring the slide stop did & then proceed from there if needed. 

For what it is worth, the slide does not appear rounded or otherwise show signs of being worn at the area of contact, the mags appear to lift the slide stop fully so that makes me less suspicious of spring/follower wear being in play.  

Well the round not getting picked up concerns me.  That leads me to believe there is an issue with the magazines.

The slide going into battery after inserting a mag does not since most of my pistols do that. Sometimes I round off my slide stops on purpose, LOL.

Edited by himurax13

Round not getting picked up....See if it does it on same mag loaded to 10 rounds vs loaded to 17 rounds. This will tell you if it's spring issue or not.

Edited by Polymer

• 1 month later...

https://benstoegerproshop.com/bsps-magazine-floor-plates-base-plates/

This one is really irritating. Can not duplicate the problem away from a match, no matter how I try to slam the mag in or whatever, maybe it is temperature related. 

Squaring off  the old slide stop did not help. 

New  slide stop on order as well as new baseplates. I'm going to keep the old baseplates attached to the spring, install a wood spacer under the old baseplate, and then install the new baseplate under the spacer, should allow me to play a lot with how hard the spring is pushing. Thought about just getting new 5% extra power springs from PD (couldn't find 10% mentioned above) but this was cheaper and should allow me to play a bit more. 

Replace your mag springs.

This is the first sign they’re getting weak.

I *theorize* that what happens is the stack of rounds in the mag bounces back downward a millimeter or so when you seat the mag due to the weakening spring, and your slide closes over top of them.

However. I can say from actual experience (on two different gun platforms, neither of which was Tanfo) that replacing the mag springs fixed my “dry chamber auto forward” issue.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I would also check the surface on the notch in the slide that the slide stop engages, maybe that corner got rounded.

When trying to reproduce autoforward the angle of the hit is more important than the force of the hit. It's the forward component that pushes the frame forward, while inertia keeps the slide back, unloading the slide release and letting its spring to drop it.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Replace your mag springs.

This is the first sign they’re getting weak.

I *theorize* that what happens is the stack of rounds in the mag bounces back downward a millimeter or so when you seat the mag due to the weakening spring, and your slide closes over top of them.

However. I can say from actual experience (on two different gun platforms, neither of which was Tanfo) that replacing the mag springs fixed my “dry chamber auto forward” issue.

1 hour ago, lstange said:

I would also check the surface on the notch in the slide that the slide stop engages, maybe that corner got rounded.

When trying to reproduce autoforward the angle of the hit is more important than the force of the hit. It's the forward component that pushes the frame forward, while inertia keeps the slide back, unloading the slide release and letting its spring to drop it.

I like this forum.

Thought about just installing new mag springs, thought the spacers was more of a nuclear option but might find out that just springs would have been better. Darn encouraging to know that you have fixed the problem that way. 

Slide looks square as brand new. Might be a good idea for me to play some more with angle of the hit. Thought I was duplicating every sort of match reload but it has got to be something. 

• 2 weeks later...

BSPS-Floorplate_3__89971.1487256163_1280_1280.thumb.jpg.bf93671cf1c28481241b95d8839cd8a8.jpg

On 7/23/2019 at 8:48 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

I'm going to keep the old baseplates attached to the spring, install a wood spacer under the old baseplate, and then install the new baseplate under the spacer, should allow me to play a lot with how hard the spring is pushing. Thought about just getting new 5% extra power springs from PD (couldn't find 10% mentioned above) but this was cheaper and should allow me to play a bit more. 

For what it is worth.

Doing the above, so far seems to have fixed the issue. My guns have always been a bit wonky about slamming in a  slide stop reload, I think but do not know that having a bit of extra tension when only loading to 10 rounds might be a good thing for Tanfo's as a general rule. 

Confirmed with PD that the 5% extra power springs do not fit the stock end plates without bending. That might not be much of a problem but I decided I wouldn't mess with it unless a need arises, putting a new bend shape in spring steel can be ornery sometimes.