Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rubber Feet For Magazines

Rich Paul

Does anybody out there know where I can get some protective caps for my Beretta magazines? While nothing beats the thrill of ejecting spent mags and then slapping in a fresh ones, constantly dropping them on the hard concrete range floor is doing them absolutely no good. I've checked Uncle Mike's, US Calvary, and my local gun shop but I've had no luck.

Also by using these pads, am I then modifying my pistol out of the production catagory? If anybody could shine a little light my way I would appreciate it.

Rich :ph34r:

I actually had someone use some dense rubber foam to make me some. They're more like a slam pad than protection from the ground. I'm pretty sure that J&J products makes some injection molded plastic ones.

However... How many times do you think a magazine with any rounds in it falls on the base pad?

• 2 months later...

Base pads, even when weighted, do not guarantee the mag will fall on that end. Murphy's law says so ;-)

Besides, it's the feed lips that matter on a mag. Not much else on a mag can actually get damaged by typical height falls onto most any surface.

Remember, magazines are expendables too, they just last longer than the brass. But they do wear out earlier than the gun.

--

Regards,

The rubber base pads come standard on Beretta Elite's, and are therefore legal for production.

They do come in three colors if you want to mark certain mags.

Be sure to inspect regularly, they do have a tendancy to break a little more often than some other base pads.

• 1 month later...

I ordered mine from Brignoli in Italy (www.brignoliarmi.com). They come in black, red and blue. The run about $5.30 each plus $9.50 S/H - so the more you buy, the lower the per unit cost. My last order took 10 days from placement to doorstep.

I agree that magazines have a limited service life, but I found the abuse mine were getting from practice sessions was causing the base pad lips to get stuck in place. (I use the Mec-Gar 17-rd mags with the metal base pads.) Putting the rubber base pads on there has made removal and magazine maintenance much easier.

I've raised the question of the "legality" of base pad replacement on the USPSA site. Since nothing in the written rules requires a competitor to use factory magazines, how can something like a rubber base pad be ruled illegal? I know...it's a small step from that to the Taylor weighted base pads. But even there, it's an integral part of the magazine, not just something that's hanging off the bottom. I don't see anything in the rules that specifies a particular "factory-like" configuration for magazines, only the guns themselves. (Weighted magazine attachments in production being the exception).

Just FYI, those Beretta base pads are a perfect fit on the CZ and Ruger Mec-Gar magazines, as well.

Jim

Edited by Navy87Guy

It probably wouldn't matter on some magazines but overall lenght of the mag would be important in limited and open especially. Here is a picutre of how to measure a magazine. Note that the base pad is part of the measurement.

FWIW

dj

post-473-1135604610_thumb.jpg