Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip crushing middle finger

Through a combination of Hwansik Kim's videos and other top shooters' take on grip, I think I'm getting very close to a grip that lets the sights resettle themselves. However, I've encountered a problem where my support hand is crushing the middle finger of the shooting hand into the gun's grip, to the point that it's actually quite painful and remains rather tender. And when I dry fire everyday, it means little respite for it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Through a combination of Hwansik Kim's videos and other top shooters' take on grip, I think I'm getting very close to a grip that lets the sights resettle themselves. However, I've encountered a problem where my support hand is crushing the middle finger of the shooting hand into the gun's grip, to the point that it's actually quite painful and remains rather tender. And when I dry fire everyday, it means little respite for it. Has anyone else experienced this?
focus your tension on your support hand WRIST and not the fingers. Relax the fingers some and that should alleviate the pressure on shooting hand finger

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Just now, Rnlinebacker said:

focus your tension on your support hand WRIST and not the fingers. Relax the fingers some and that should alleviate the pressure on shooting hand finger

Now that you mention it, my sights track up and to the right. While it arguably doesn't matter which way the sights move as long as they come back down aligned, this is still symptomatic of too much weak hand pressure, right?

Now that you mention it, my sights track up and to the right. While it arguably doesn't matter which way the sights move as long as they come back down aligned, this is still symptomatic of too much weak hand pressure, right?

Your fingers are probably adding too much side to side pressure that could be attributing to that atypical arch. Lock your wrists like you're going to shake someone's hand and keep the fingers relatively relaxed. Crush with the fingers slightly more if you need more straighter sight alignment.  Otherwise, the locked wrist will do a lot of the work of recoil mitigation. Shooting hand wrist should be locked slightly as well but fingers almost completely relaxed. Think of forming a backwards letter C with your fingers. You won't drop the gun

Thanks, will try this. One of my biggest issues before was that my support hand would loosen after a couple of shots, and I was always told that I wasn't gripping hard enough.
Had the same issues myself but didn't think to separate wrists from fingers. Hwansik hit it out the park with this one. All credit to him and Ben. Glad to help!!

So I have my sights returning roughly to alignment by themselves about 90% of the time now. But it seems they take too long to do so (I'm talking about what feels like .30s splits). What kind of changes would help with this? How are the top shooters shooting <0.15s splits at close range 

So I have my sights returning roughly to alignment by themselves about 90% of the time now. But it seems they take too long to do so (I'm talking about what feels like .30s splits). What kind of changes would help with this? How are the top shooters shooting
So the only division you'll see crazy splits like that is open. otherwise, the top guys are NOT shooting .15s on every target. They're calling shots and the splits are what they are but typically .20 or less.

Are you ready to shoot when the gun is ready or do you pin the trigger to the rear??

6 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

So the only division you'll see crazy splits like that is open. otherwise, the top guys are NOT shooting .15s on every target. They're calling shots and the splits are what they are but typically .20 or less.

Are you ready to shoot when the gun is ready or do you pin the trigger to the rear??

I've been focused on seeing if my sights return to alignment, so I haven't gotten to the point of resetting the trigger mid-recoil. At least, I'm not doing it consciously yet.

Watching this video of Ben, he shoots close targets incredibly quickly. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnjzVWQkgww

There must be a degree of manually helping the gun down, instead of just waiting for the sights to settle automatically?

Although having read his latest book, he does talk about not even looking at sights for really close targets.

Edited by Blackstone45

If you have some sandpaper, (or the wife's nail emery) sand down the area under the afflicted finger to relive it enough to balance out the pressure.

If your sights are returning to original point of aim, that is more important than where the sight goes. So at this point, you don't want to change your grip. make the gun fit you.

Remember too, you don't have to have a death grip on the gun. If you're squeezing hard enough to cause pain, it's prob'ly a little too hard. Back off just a hair.

Edited by Dranoel

On 6/4/2019 at 12:42 PM, Blackstone45 said:

You should also pay attention to the sideways pressure that comes from rotating your elbows slightly - the torque comes from the shoulders, but the effect on the gun is through the top of your hand, where the torque is preventing the gun from recoiling sideways regardless of your grip. Fine tuning of grip in combination with this torque will give you the ability to fine tune where the gun recoils.