Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Silicon Carbide from grip, 2011

jbultman

Hey all,

I’ve got a 2011 that I’ve put silicone carbide on the grip. After using it for a quite a few years I would like to redo it

Any ideas on how to remove the current silicone carbide and jb weld? Grind it down with a Dremel? 

Thanks

J

I have removed silicone carbide from 3 grips, started with a dremel and ended up using a small flat head screwdriver, and different picks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, kk4364 said:

I have removed silicone carbide from 3 grips, started with a dremel and ended up using a small flat head screwdriver, and different picks.

Was it worth it to redo? Or just get a new grip and refit?

Edited by jbultman

3 hours ago, kk4364 said:

I thought it was worth it, just to have a few different choices.

Did you use jb weld or another type of epoxy?

I would suggest using a dremel with a pretty robust tip just to get to the plastic. Then, pick away and scrape away. At least that's how I did it.

Not applicable to polymer, but I just stripped a set of G10 grips in ten minutes.  Carefully use of a propane torch to soften the epoxy and an old knife.  Hold with gloves, move the flame over about half the grip quickly until it starts to smoke and start scraping.  You will not hurt the G10 at all.  Clean up with some sand paper and start over.  I just redid a set of cheap G10 grips for my Shadow 2 in 36 grit I had previously done in 46/70.