Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Glock optic for concealed carry?

MattBaker5745

Started shooting a Glock 19 with an SRO this past week. Put about 700 rounds through it between a practice session and a USPSA match - shooting it just for fun and practice with a potential carry gun.

Love the combo. I can't say, however, that it was all the different from the DPP I used to use on my Shadows. Just got tired of sending the DPPs back to the factory for repairs. Whether or not this SRO proves to be more reliable remains to be seen. But based on the video referenced above, I'm not planning on dropping the gun from shoulder height onto pavement.

And it makes me think it might not be my choice if I were actually going use it as a carry gun.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing the SRO as more of a gun-game optic than a carry/defense optic. The pictures and reports I've seen indicate the SRO glass is damaged more easily than the RMR, and IMO the RMR is still the top choice for a serious fighting gun. Keep in mind that on a well set up carry gun, that RMR set into a milled slide is not just an aiming device, it's also a charging handle and even an impact weapon. (Guys who get all their input on this from shooting sports probably will not get this.) 

Don't fall for the mistake of thinking a carry gun is just about shooting fast up close; there's a lot more to it and an RMR has advantages outside of the scope of what we see in competition. If we plan for "the average gun fight" we're already planning to lose anything that demands more skill or ability. For example, shooting from behind cover, an RMR allows you to expose a little less of your head than using iron sights (you can hold the dot in the edge/corner of the window, rather than centered). Or maybe you'd need to make a precise longer shot at 50 or 100 yards or so (think of som of the "active shooter" incidents we keep hearing about lately); a red dot can help a lot of people with a shot like that.