Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Glock optic for concealed carry?

MattBaker5745

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Helios said:

The SRO looks like it will combine the best of the RMR and DPP. 

The SRO looks extremely promising. I’ve heard nothing but great reviews, and has higher quality glass with less of the blue tint than the RMR. Probably what I’m gonna go with. I just have to test it out.

6 hours ago, PrimaryBruce said:

Trijicon RMR

/thread

There simply has been nothing yet that can beat it in terms of dependability. 

I agree. Have you had any experience with the SRO yet? I’m debating between them.

20 hours ago, PrimaryBruce said:

Trijicon RMR

/thread

There simply has been nothing yet that can beat it in terms of dependability. 

Totally agree.  Yes it takes more reps to find the dot initially.  But its bulletproof and the SRO (while promising) is larger and unproven 

T

The rmr is stronger than the sro .

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 3:08 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Irons.

If there’s one thing running Carry Optics for a year will teach you, it’s that you don’t need this widget on a carry gun. At all.

Do agree that for carry its not needed.

On 5/16/2019 at 3:08 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Irons.

If there’s one thing running Carry Optics for a year will teach you, it’s that you don’t need this widget on a carry gun. At all.

My experience as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like a rds on a defensive edc gun is more of a liability. If my life is on the line, I like simple and reliable. Most likely it is going to be < 7 yards and probably more point shooting with a slight sight overlay.  I trust my index for center mass at that range. Just my 2 cents.

I do like the RMR overall though.

On 5/16/2019 at 1:08 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Irons.

So maybe “Carry Optics” is a misnomer. How could it be renamed? Pistol Optics?

1 hour ago, Paul49 said:

So maybe “Carry Optics” is a misnomer. How could it be renamed? Pistol Optics?

Production Optics seems like a popular title, although I'm not sure how or why the division name matters??

18 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

Production Optics seems like a popular title, although I'm not sure how or why the division name matters??

Well USPSA could call the divisions A, B, C, etc. Instead they chose names that provide some descriptive sense of what is included or allowed. Production is self evident. Limited allows limited modifications. Limited 10 restricts magazine size in deference to those states with 10 round magazine limits. Open allows a much broader range of modifications. Carry Optics implies this division is for concealed carriers who favor an optic over their production irons. Yet not that many (as a %) carry an optic modified pistol. MemphisMechanic questioned the use of an RDS on a carry pistol which prompted my comments.

It appears you partially agreed as you suggested Production Optics which would more clearly describe the division. How many actually carry a G17 or G34 with RDS? Yet those set-ups are seen in the division. Perhaps Steel Challenge has more descriptive divisions except of course for the fact they retain Carry Optics. Your suggestion of Production Optics is the clearest and most accurate, yet generic description, an optic added to a production pistol.

ISR for iron sight revolver

OSR for optic sight revolver

Production

Single Stack

Carry Optic

Limited

Open

RFPO for rimfire pistol optic

RFPI for rimfire pistol irons

RFRO for rimfire rifle optic

RFRI for rimfire rifle irons

PCCI for iron sight pistol caliber carbine

PCCO for optic sight pistol caliber carbine

2 hours ago, HCH said:

Ghetto Open

Too obvious.

Welfare Open Minor. WOM.

Regarding what to call it? Call it Carry Optics. Works just fine. Tons of gun guys carry a red dot, it’s the new trend. Those of us with actual proficiency just know better.

Just like racing, or golf, or anything else? You have tons of guys with lots of love for gear, and no skill in using it. They buy dumb things for their carry guns rather than practicing hard with basic equipment.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Too obvious.

Welfare Open Minor. WOM.

Regarding what to call it? Call it Carry Optics. Works just fine. Tons of gun guys carry a red dot, it’s the new trend. Those of us with actual proficiency just know better.

Just like racing, or golf, or anything else? You have tons of guys with lots of love for gear, and no skill in using it. They buy dumb things for their carry guns rather than practicing hard with basic equipment.

I’m not sure I understand the hate here. Would you make the same argument for rifle optics? Full disclosure: I am a full time CO shooter and carry a RMR’d gun. If I want/need to point shoot there’s nothing about an optic that slows me down compared to an iron sighted gun, but if I need to make a well placed shot I’m certainly better at that with an optic. 

I’m a fulltime CO shooter too. For reference. I’m not saying this out of hate for carryoptics - it’s my favorite division.

Once you’re out of C or B class and have solid gunhandling fundamentals and grip? You’re faster and it’s easier to track the sights in a GM/M-class classifier run like Can You Count with irons than it is with a dot. (Something which is more reminiscent of a self defense situation than the stages full of 20+yd shooting.)

Irons are faster than dots at close fast hosing work, which is something your local guys who shoot both Limited and Open have been saying for years.

Of course I wouldn’t say the same thing about rifles. Recoil characteristics are entirely different. You aren’t watching a front sight lift and return with a rifle.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

11 hours ago, Novagunner said:

This thread seems to have taken a serious turn from the OP’s question of looking for edc optic suggestion.

I don't know. Seems pretty relevant to me. It is useful to know that, given the CO craze, some don't find it all that useful for EDC. Just shoot irons at defense distances after using your CO game gun for a while and see if it matters. Look at it this way, it might save someone a lot of money if they don't need to buy a RDS.