Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G10 vs Carbon fiber handguard

I have several of the Taccom standard carbon fiber handguards...  Great value...  Super light...  Small diameter.

I've never seen one of the G10 models...  Web site says they are fire retardant...  Not sure what that does for you...  Give Tim a call...  I'm sure there's a reason for them.

I am considering using a 7.5" barrel with their shroud with mid-barrel brake . I would machine a hole in the top of the hand guard to vent the gas. I am thinking the fire retardant aspect might be a good thing.

Mostly interested if anybody used one of the G10 guards.

Thx

Only benefits I see is heat resistance & G10 I lighter in comparison to metal. Some people don’t like the look of carbon fiber (crazy I know), so I guess that would be a good light weight secondary option. 

Edited by PewPewJohnson87

G10 is a laminated composite, just like carbon fiber is.  cloth saturated with epoxy resin.

The main difference between G10 and carbon fiber is that the "matrix" in G10 is woven glass cloth, where in carbon fiber the matrix is, well, woven carbon-fiber cloth.

G10 tubes are available off the shelf in a whole variety of sizes...  https://www.mcmaster.com/grade-g-10/fr4-garolite-tubing

It won't be quite as light as CF for the same lay-up thickness, but should otherwise have very similar characteristics.

Edited by bgary

We've used G10 only because it is something that looks different than the normal run of the mill Carbon fiber. The sad news is that G10 is now at about the same price per foot of carbon fiber which is why we've had it listed as out of stock for a while now. I do really like the look of the G10 and from a hand guard stand point......zero difference in strength and durability.