Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc/uspsa Load

Headshot45

ok guys, I have been shooting revos in IDPA since its inception, and until the change to ESR I had a great load for my 625 Mountain Gun. Now, I am getting another 625 in 4" for IDPA and occassional use in USPSA, and am looking for a 25-2 for USPSA and need to know what the "trend" load is.

As I have read here in numerous posts, my 625 does not shoot 230 ball very well past 20 yds...it does shoot my IDPA load well, but it is only 142PF....thats all we needed last year....so, do I switch to 200 gr Berry's or 185 gr JHP's?

I am at your mercy, so be gentle.....

Frank

I think you'll find lots of different answers to your question.

I still run 4.6 grains of Bullseye with 230 Zero's.

It sounds like lots of folks on this board are running Clays. Might have to try it myself.

Hi Frank,

for IPSC Major PF I´m using 5,6 grs VV N320 behind a 200grs copper platet RN bullet (made by H&N, think not available in USA?) in my 625. I´ve also tested 4,7 N320 behind a 230grs bullet (same as above), but the 200´s felt better :)

best,

Sascha

I use Montana's 230 gr. CMJ over 4.3 gr. of Clays in my 5" 625. Made 173 PF at the Nationals this year and holds about 3" at 25 yards. I just posted on this under a different topic (625 Enhanced Revolver, I think) but FMJ type bullets don't like to fly slow, you have to get them up to about 850 FPS (factory) to get them to stabilize. Good luck with the new gun.

OK Frank,

Here's the "scientific" answer for the 4" 625.

I went to the pasture to test run the revo.

-Ammo is handload, 4gr clays, 230gr Montana Gold 230 gr RN.

-Technical targets-12" square steel plate and #10 bean cans

-All shot freestyle and DA

-note-I never zerod this revolver

-25 yds, 3 on plate, 3 on #10-easy and boring

-45 yds 3 on plate, 2 on cans, one pulled low left (I caught sight of a groundhog and was distracted)

-65 yds(the rock pile) 4 on plate, 2 mikes (my fault-hoping the g-hog would show himself)

-110 yds, elevation~50 ft above the plate (up on the ridge), 6 mikes impacting in the mulberry stump a bit left of the plate.

Conclusions:

Clearly not the load for 110 yard shootin' down through the trees.

Additional notes: you need a trigger job and your wheelgun needs cleaning :P

Dave

With my 5 inch 625-3 and -4

4.0 grns Clays.....230 grn Lead Round Nose.....good load, I use this for club matches and practice.

4.4 grns Clays.....230 grn Delta Precision FMJ (lead base but it doesn't seem to smoke) (These guys DP, made their reputation as suppliers for the Bullseye sport)

both loads chrono right around 170 P.F. out of my guns.

Hope it helps.

HOP

Oh yeah, the Southern Revolver Championship......

Looks like Next fall..... Shooting Gallery to be there filming.....Either Nashville or Memphis TN.....Hoping to have S&W, Ruger, and or Taurus to be involved still have to talk to the "right guy/gal"

HOP

Iuse 4.2 of titegroup with 230gr berry's with oal of1.230 pf 170

Barrel length please?

Regards.

The gun has a 5 inch barrel

Thanks, that explains our differences to a degree I chrono from my 4". I need to do that for the IDPA loads. I was using 4.5gr but the results were too close to be reliable so I upped the powder a little.

Regards,

Gary