Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help With Jam-O-Matic

saibot

Your style jam has been the bane of my existence. Been dealing with it for years.

I installed an Aftec which made no difference. You're truly lucky yours fixed your problem.

Did you shorten the OAL of your cartridges down to 1.15" as well as install the Aftec? Thanks.

13 hours ago, rr4406pak said:

Your style jam has been the bane of my existence. Been dealing with it for years.

I installed an Aftec which made no difference. You're truly lucky yours fixed your problem.

Did you shorten the OAL of your cartridges down to 1.15" as well as install the Aftec? Thanks.

Sorry to hear you're still fighting your jam issue! The Aftec worked like a dream on one of my STI's, and a fair amount of bending/filing took care of the same issue on my backup STI (both identical TruBors). I did load a bit longer when I was struggling with my jams to see if that would help (it didn't) and never shortened it back. The STI's are back to eating everything without issue. Did you do any fitting with your Aftec? You might still need to adjust it a bit. For what it's worth, I only installed one spring on the Aftec initially, and since it works I never went back and played with adding both/fitting/etc.

The advantages for AFTEC are: 1) once they're set up properly, they're 100% reliable and 2) they don't wear out, so you don't have to replace them and end up with a new part that doesn't match the finish of the gun.  I've used them since they came on the market, probably 20+ years ago and never had one fail or cause any problems.  I don't even change the springs, and they work fine even in guns with 20k+ rounds.  Having said that, they're not a drop in part, and just like anything else, if you don't get it right, you're gonna have lots of headaches.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:08 AM, ltdmstr said:

The advantages for AFTEC are: 1) once they're set up properly, they're 100% reliable and 2) they don't wear out, so you don't have to replace them and end up with a new part that doesn't match the finish of the gun.  I've used them since they came on the market, probably 20+ years ago and never had one fail or cause any problems.  I don't even change the springs, and they work fine even in guns with 20k+ rounds.  Having said that, they're not a drop in part, and just like anything else, if you don't get it right, you're gonna have lots of headaches.

Then there is this. My gun was having extraction issues a few weeks back and finally tore it apart today.

IMG_1037.jpg

7 hours ago, ziebart said:

I broke one of the ears off too. Now I have extra in the spare parts kit. I'd go to a standard extractor if I could figure out how to tune them myself. 

I had spares as well. AFTEC are great as this is the first time in 6 years I’ve broke one. 

Only thing I’m baffled by is where did the other tab go from mine? This is all that was in the tunnel.🤔

I've gone through two spring caps recently. The first one lasted an entire year, and the second lasted about 2K rounds.

If you break a spring cap for your aftec, consider also replacing the spring while you're rebuilding it. That's at least what I can think of why I had another cap break so quickly.

This was me all day yesterday. I recently replaced my aftec extractor spring, my MBX 170mm mag springs (but did not load them & unload them to break them in like the instructions from MBX say you should do, when you get one of their magazines). I'm hoping that replacing the recoil spring with a new one, checking all my brass to make sure they're not sticky/full of gunk, and also spraying the tubes of my magazines with a dry lubicrant w/ teflon will maybe fix the issues. 

Open can be very frustrating.

1238429524_ScreenShot2019-07-29at6_15_43PM.png.d6039c6455f5d7311f725b37c3b594fa.png