Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo V12 9mm major report

Dan4147

On 4/20/2019 at 8:25 AM, zzt said:

I buy from Midsouth Shooters or Grafs & Sons.  Midsouth has 1 lb jars in stock if you just want to try it.  I order 16 lbs at a time from Grafs.  The last time it was backordered, my order was filled in less than 30 days.

I stopped in the Sportsman's Warehouse in Chattanooga.  They stock PP in 1lb and 8lb.  Bought 1.

On 4/18/2019 at 5:14 PM, ATLDave said:

I've just started using a kneelingatlas comp on a 9mm LTD converted into an open gun.  It seems very effective.  It is long, but since it's aluminum, it really doesn't feel heavy when shooting or holstered.  

I just use a DAA racer holster, so I have no idea whether a muzzle support holster would accommodate.  

Looking at the racemaster.  Did you get the stock II or III insert?

On 4/17/2019 at 3:15 PM, Dan4147 said:

After a couple years of lusting after a Gold Custom 9mm I finally got one.  I was very apprehensive on loads, due to all the cautionary posts I had read. I’m not a big poster but felt I should share my experience. I am happy happy happy. 

My previous 9mm major experience is a egw compensated frankenstein Rem Custom 9 top end on a excellent Para frame.  With 7.0gr of Autocomp, 124g RMR HP, 1.135oal, and WSPM primers it made about 170pf.  Shot great.

Now, here is what the Gold Team did first time testing major.  Same bullet, same powder, same primers, but 1.145 oal. Patriot Defense chamber reamed. I don’t see how anyone would want to try major with the factory short chamber. 

7.2g= 166pf

7.6g= 173pf

8.0g= 178pf

Primers were flat, same as always experienced in previous loads. No difference there. I couldn’t really tell a difference in the way the pistol moved, but I’m an old B shooter so it seemed flat enough to me. Also, I tried some cci 500 primers and they appeared to flatten a little less than the wspm, was a surprise.

So, I may try some other slower powder for improvement, but the AC is so complete clean burning and the Tanfo comp is not much help. 

Apprehension is GONE!  But be careful with any 9 major. 

Update.  Luckily, everything seems to be working out better than expected.  Here is where the tuning stands, and I think I won't try to press for any more.

-PD light springs, trigger return, sear, 15lb hammer

-stock recoil spring (whatever that is)

-PD bolo, Titan hammer, with Joe's help (only removed about 010 on the bolo arc, not 020)

-sear/safety fitted (on sear, not safety)

-MM instructions for polishing

-2-1/2 lb trigger, short overtravel and reset

-100% except high primers (minor loads will cycle but a little short for hold open)

Regards

17 minutes ago, zzt said:

Sounds like four poppels and and a two port comp.

I've been  thinking about using my "factory ammo" barrel and comp to achieve this and purpose it for minor.  One comp port is closed off but could be machined out easily to work better with gasy loads.  A local smith told me that he would not drill any popples because he wasn't capable of dealing with any "edges" in the rifling that may occur. 

Any thoughts on how it works?

3 hours ago, zzt said:

Sounds like four poppels and and a two port comp.

ok, I was thinking the minor compensator with the second port opened and the four holes in the compensator. thanks for clarifying