Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo V12 9mm major report

Dan4147

After a couple years of lusting after a Gold Custom 9mm I finally got one.  I was very apprehensive on loads, due to all the cautionary posts I had read. I’m not a big poster but felt I should share my experience. I am happy happy happy. 

My previous 9mm major experience is a egw compensated frankenstein Rem Custom 9 top end on a excellent Para frame.  With 7.0gr of Autocomp, 124g RMR HP, 1.135oal, and WSPM primers it made about 170pf.  Shot great.

Now, here is what the Gold Team did first time testing major.  Same bullet, same powder, same primers, but 1.145 oal. Patriot Defense chamber reamed. I don’t see how anyone would want to try major with the factory short chamber. 

7.2g= 166pf

7.6g= 173pf

8.0g= 178pf

Primers were flat, same as always experienced in previous loads. No difference there. I couldn’t really tell a difference in the way the pistol moved, but I’m an old B shooter so it seemed flat enough to me. Also, I tried some cci 500 primers and they appeared to flatten a little less than the wspm, was a surprise.

So, I may try some other slower powder for improvement, but the AC is so complete clean burning and the Tanfo comp is not much help. 

Apprehension is GONE!  But be careful with any 9 major. 

CCI primers are harder than Win or Fed.

Your comp isn't working because you are not making enough gas.  The poppels rob the comp of the gas it needs to work.  Definitely go to a slower powder.  As an example, one of my Open guns has two 3/16" poppers and a four chamber, five port comp.  When I went from 7.2gr WAC or 7.3g Silhouette to 10.2gr Major Pistol the difference was night and day.  Muzzle rise was less and it shot softer.  I was finally making enough gas to work the comp.

BTW, Major Pistol burns cleanly.  I have almost 2000 rounds through my new Open gun and the comp is so clean I can see the machining marks at the bottom of the ports.  I can wipe out the tiny bit or residue there.

3 hours ago, zzt said:

CCI primers are harder than Win or Fed.

Your comp isn't working because you are not making enough gas.  The poppels rob the comp of the gas it needs to work.  Definitely go to a slower powder.  As an example, one of my Open guns has two 3/16" poppers and a four chamber, five port comp.  When I went from 7.2gr WAC or 7.3g Silhouette to 10.2gr Major Pistol the difference was night and day.  Muzzle rise was less and it shot softer.  I was finally making enough gas to work the comp.

BTW, Major Pistol burns cleanly.  I have almost 2000 rounds through my new Open gun and the comp is so clean I can see the machining marks at the bottom of the ports.  I can wipe out the tiny bit or residue there.

Thanks for the MajorPistol suggestion and info.  I will get a pound and try, but still have 8 lb of AC to use.  Even if the AC does pop around, I'm just glad it was so easy to make major.  This is such a cool race gun for the money.

IpscAlex mount is excellent.  The RTS2 is same mount as Vortex Razor.  Extended plus 10 Taylor Freelance base works on std K9 mags as long as you are willing to do some grinding/relief work inside to eliminate the edge transition to meet the tube.  Before grinding, the spring/Grams follower was "twisting/tilting" during loading full, and jamming such that it would not come back up.  Also, the "hump" on the back where the securing screw is had to be filed to go in the mag well.  No biggy, but you have to be determined.

11 hours ago, Dan4147 said:

Is Shooters World Major similar to #7?

Major Pistol powder is nearly the same burn rate as AA&, but much cleaner.  At major PF it is quite clean.  At minor, there is more debris left in the action, but not in the comp.

Dirt with WAC adheres to the action parts and is hard to scrub off.  It also continues to build up.  Silhouette is the same, but also leaves little corn colored round balls.  MP also leaves debris in clumps, when it leaves any at all.  It does not build up and the tiny black and yellow clumps wipe right off.  I get almost none of that in 500 rounds of 115 major.  I get some to a lot with 124 minor loads.  I'm loading long for major, so it seems MP likes higher pressure to burn completely.  I might try loading to 1.150" to see if the increased pressure removes the last traces of debris.

Major Pistol powder is nearly the same burn rate as AA&, but much cleaner.  At major PF it is quite clean.  At minor, there is more debris left in the action, but not in the comp.

I may try some of that when I can.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, trub7dur said:

Have you consider putting the @kneelingatlas comp on it?
It was a clear improvement on my czechmate and I bet its more noticeable on the tanfo with the smaller comp.

I have seen it, but haven't looked seriously.  It did look way long, and I remember thinking that may be a holster problem.  I like a muzzle support.

I've just started using a kneelingatlas comp on a 9mm LTD converted into an open gun.  It seems very effective.  It is long, but since it's aluminum, it really doesn't feel heavy when shooting or holstered.  

I just use a DAA racer holster, so I have no idea whether a muzzle support holster would accommodate.  

On 4/18/2019 at 9:24 AM, zzt said:

Dirt with WAC adheres to the action parts and is hard to scrub off.  It also continues to build up.  Silhouette is the same, but also leaves little corn colored round balls.  MP also leaves debris in clumps, when it leaves any at all.  It does not build up and the tiny black and yellow clumps wipe right off.  I get almost none of that in 500 rounds of 115 major.  I get some to a lot with 124 minor loads.  I'm loading long for major, so it seems MP likes higher pressure to burn completely.  I might try loading to 1.150" to see if the increased pressure removes the last traces of debris.

I don’t see any major pistol available on line.  Suggestions for a supplier.

12 hours ago, Dan4147 said:

I don’t see any major pistol available on line.  Suggestions for a supplier.

I buy from Midsouth Shooters or Grafs & Sons.  Midsouth has 1 lb jars in stock if you just want to try it.  I order 16 lbs at a time from Grafs.  The last time it was backordered, my order was filled in less than 30 days.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I buy from Midsouth Shooters or Grafs & Sons.  Midsouth has 1 lb jars in stock if you just want to try it.  I order 16 lbs at a time from Grafs.  The last time it was backordered, my order was filled in less than 30 days.

I see it.  Thanks.

8 hours ago, Apolo said:

I've used CFE, HS6, Power Pistol, and AA7. 

2019-04-20 00.24.21.jpg

Sweeeet!  Apolo do you have any of these set up exclusively minor, for Steel Chall etc?  I'm curious in case I move from RFPO.