Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Treating Tanfo Teeter Tottering Triggers

johnbu

4As the title says, how to take out the trigger wiggle (and hammer wiggle too).  I found a company that makes stainless shims for triggers. Mostly revolver applications. However, i contacted them and got a set of shims to try.

Picture of installed trigger shims. I used 0.005" on both sides.20190417_090608_compress_78.thumb.jpg.d4d49b000edf26d70d87db55c2378d3e.jpg

You can see the little rascal in between the trigger and frame. There is one on both sides. (Yes, the gun is dirty, sorry! Lol, not)

20190417_091826_compress_81.thumb.jpg.07d4a1907d81e6a376d49fe2f12b1839.jpg

.you can see the shim along side the hammer. I used 0.006" on both sides.

Installation wasn't horrid, but i did utter a couple dirty words putting in the trigger shims. If you go too thick, they are a bear to get out without taking both out. 

I wouldn't want to put them in with a factory trigger roll pin. But, with the canik pin, and a dental pick it wasn't too bad.

I thought the hammer shims would be a chore, but they actually were easier. I could go thicker, but it now swings free without touching anything.  no reduction on pull weight, but it is smoother and "more direct".  i DO NOT have any interest in the company, just found them and since the parts are cheap, i gave it a try.

Company and part info is in the video.

Edited by johnbu

Dang it [mention=54061]johnbu[/mention]. You keep perfecting the Tanfo and all I see is more money leaving my wallet to get mine up to par with yours!

I assume that the shins didn’t need additional polishing or what not with like 2000+ grit to get it smooth?

5 minutes ago, SouperMan said:

all I see is more money leaving my wallet to get mine up to par with yours!

John bought a wheelgun and is learning their tricks and gunsmithing ways. ;)

Just remember, Tanfo shooters have won well over a dozen times at Nationals and World Shoot... with no shims involved.

This is hardly necessary. Our retired old friend just enjoys tinkering for tinkering’s sake.

John... When do Patriot or the Pro Shop come out with some Brass trigger shims to help add weight to the gun and look sexy?

4 hours ago, SouperMan said:

I assume that the shins didn’t need additional polishing or what not with like 2000+ grit to get it smooth?

They were already smooth, so just install and oil was all it required.

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

John bought a wheelgun and is learning their tricks and gunsmithing ways. ;)

Just remember, Tanfo shooters have won well over a dozen times at Nationals and World Shoot... with no shims involved. 

This is hardly necessary. Our retired old friend just enjoys tinkering for tinkering’s sake. 

^^he's right.  I bought a ruger redhawk. If anyone EVER tells you they are "simpler" than an autoloaders .... they are either delusional or fibbing.   There are loads of inter-related multi-action parts.  The trigger motion simultaneously unlocks and relocks the cylinder, rotates the cylinder, moves the transfer bar, moves the hammer back and eventually releases it.  Smoothing out the trigger action, revo guys add shims to keep them from rubbing. And a light bulb went on.

While some people think the "as delivered" trigger is acceptable and the wobbly side to side motion is all part of the "charm",  i just wanted to see if it would help. And for just a couple bucks, it does help. 

Is the seller "TriggerShims"? I've used them in all of my Ruger Blackhawk's and would recommend them to take most of the play out of the trigger and hammer.

I know we're talking apples and oranges, but I found the same thing you did, that the pull didnt really lessen, but everything was tighter and smoother. Probably 99.89% of all Ruger Blackhawk's don't have triggershims installed, but mine do and I like it.

What the heck, I have quite a few in different thicknesses and might give it a try in my Limited Custom just cause I can. It won't hurt as I can just remove them if I don't like the feel.

I agree about the complexity of revolvers. A S&W revolver is as simple as a 1911 compared to a RBH.

4As the title says, how to take out the trigger wiggle (and hammer wiggle too).  I found a company that makes stainless shims for triggers. Mostly revolver applications. However, i contacted them and got a set of shims to try.

Picture of installed trigger shims. I used 0.005" on both sides.20190417_090608_compress_78.thumb.jpg.d4d49b000edf26d70d87db55c2378d3e.jpg
You can see the little rascal in between the trigger and frame. There is one on both sides. (Yes, the gun is dirty, sorry! Lol, not)
20190417_091826_compress_81.thumb.jpg.07d4a1907d81e6a376d49fe2f12b1839.jpg
.you can see the shim along side the hammer. I used 0.006" on both sides.

Installation wasn't horrid, but i did utter a couple dirty words putting in the trigger shims. If you go too thick, they are a bear to get out without taking both out. 

I wouldn't want to put them in with a factory trigger roll pin. But, with the canik pin, and a dental pick it wasn't too bad.

I thought the hammer shims would be a chore, but they actually were easier. I could go thicker, but it now swings free without touching anything.  no reduction on pull weight, but it is smoother and "more direct".  i DO NOT have any interest in the company, just found them and since the parts are cheap, i gave it a try.
Company and part info is in the video.
Is this supposed to help with the trigger rocking left or right as it travels rearward prior to breaking. I'm asking because my S3 does rock left and right a descent amount. But I havent had any issues with it. What issues will this help or fix?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JayTac556 said:

Is this supposed to help with the trigger rocking left or right as it travels rearward prior to breaking. I'm asking because my S3 does rock left and right a descent amount. But I havent had any issues with it. What issues will this help or fix?

Exactly. The shims just make the trigger go straight back without the sideways motion

my triggers have a rub mark on the side from the way i pull and it should reduce that.  Same with the hammers having rotational rub marks. 

The "issue" is just making the trigger smoother, more predictable and letting the hammer swing free. I know some guns are VERY wobbly, those maybe should get this.  Others it's  just making good slightly better.

3 hours ago, dhdeal said:

Is the seller "TriggerShims"? I've used them in all of my Ruger Blackhawk's and would recommend them to take most of the play out of the trigger and hammer. 

Yes.  i didn't want to be all commercially and only had it in the video.  So people that were interested could see it and not bug others.  the shims for S&W K-L-N frame fit the tanfo.

Exactly. The shims just make the trigger go straight back without the sideways motion

my triggers have a rub mark on the side from the way i pull and it should reduce that.  Same with the hammers having rotational rub marks. 

The "issue" is just making the trigger smoother, more predictable and letting the hammer swing free. I know some guns are VERY wobbly, those maybe should get this.  Others it's  just making good slightly better.

Makes sense....I may try this seems cheap and easy enough.

Maybe I should have messaged you with the question. Nice guy though and helpful with sizes and my BH shims got here so quick I wondered if he just rode by my house and put them in my mailbox.

Thanks for the info on which one's fit. I'll order an assortment of sizes and try to get .002" to .003" clearance. 

Edited by dhdeal
Added info

• 3 weeks later...

I got around to installing the shims today. The Limited was dirty so no better time to put them in than when I had it apart anyway.

I went with .003" and .005" on the trigger (the assortment I got did not have .004" as part of the kit) and .003" on each side of the hammer.

As I have these shims in my Blackhawk's, I kinda already knew what to expect. No more wobble in the trigger or hammer. Trigger pull is about the same. 

Will it make a difference in the long run? I doubt it, but I do like a tight gun. I have slightly less than. 002" play in both trigger and hammer. I didn't want to go less than that.

Finally got caught up enough to work on the LimPro and shims. I put in a .005 shim on both sides of the hammer and trigger. Had about .004 total gap space on hammer and .005 gap space on the trigger. There is still some wobble, but the trigger seems to break more cleanly and crisp. A thing you notice more after shooting a 2011 open gun with a light trigger. It didn't change the weight of the pulls in double or single action. I am going to shim the sear cage next.

I wiped the trigger and hammer down with cleaner and superglued the shims on first and install was just as easy as stock pieces,,, 

No pics, my gun looks just like Johnbu's inside,,,,,, but cleaner,,,, hahaha