Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA - IDPA - Steel challenge, Revolvers shoot free?

IHAVEGAS

I take my revolver to club matches.  I always offer the shooter a change to run my gun.

At first they say no but by the end of the match most of them give it a try.

They are amazed.  Over the season only a couple of shooters will get a revolver and give it a try.

Subsidizing an item rarely saves it.  The sports you mention ( except Steel Challenge) have evolved to exclude revolvers by rules and by volume of shots fired unless a  person is stubborn and slightly masochistic.

JMO,

Jason

I don't think comping a revolver competitor's fee will help grow participation in any meaningful manner. In Steel Challenge we are seeing more activity in revolvers but it is still nothing compared to the growth we've seen in PCC. Here's some gee whiz numbers for you. Back in July 2016 we moved to classification by division and we established a baseline count for each division. At that time ISR had 143 classified competitors, OSR had 61. PCCI had 2 and PCCO had 33. As of March 27th (the last time I submitted my report to USPSA HQ) our counts stood at ISR 400 (up 257), OSR 199 (up 138), PCCI 200 (up 198) and PCCO 1804 (up 1771). My numbers are probably low because they only count those competitors that have a current USPSA membership.  One factor that my be attributing to the growth we are seeing is what I call "club 13". It's a list of those competitors that have achieved a classification in all 13 of the Steel Challenge divisions. We currently have 20 people on that list. 

Interesting. I reached the point with steel challenge to where I liked it occasionally because there is a lot of time to catch up socializing with friends and I think of it as good transition and draw practice for USPSA, but the shooting was boring. For the moment a wheel gun makes it more interesting again, I have no idea if that is just a me thing or a more general thing. 

On 4/19/2019 at 5:34 AM, ZackJones said:

I don't think comping a revolver competitor's fee will help grow participation in any meaningful manner. In Steel Challenge we are seeing more activity in revolvers but it is still nothing compared to the growth we've seen in PCC. Here's some gee whiz numbers for you. Back in July 2016 we moved to classification by division and we established a baseline count for each division. At that time ISR had 143 classified competitors, OSR had 61. PCCI had 2 and PCCO had 33. As of March 27th (the last time I submitted my report to USPSA HQ) our counts stood at ISR 400 (up 257), OSR 199 (up 138), PCCI 200 (up 198) and PCCO 1804 (up 1771). My numbers are probably low because they only count those competitors that have a current USPSA membership.  One factor that my be attributing to the growth we are seeing is what I call "club 13". It's a list of those competitors that have achieved a classification in all 13 of the Steel Challenge divisions. We currently have 20 people on that list. 

This are meaningful numbers in that the course of fire is the same since no reloads are required for revolvers.  Also in a division you are shooting against like equipment.  I don not think revolvers will be a major factor in USPSA, but in steel challenge the revolver divisioon will be significant.