Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock open pistol

GSonnen

I primarily shoot mutigun (UML & outlaw matches).  I've been shooting Tac Ops with an STI 2011 for the past 5 years.  I'm going to make the move to open this year and I'm pistol shopping.

I have small hands and have always found better grip with a Glock frame than my 2011.  I am considering building my open pistol on a G34 MOS.  Any wisdom on Glock as an open gun would be appreciated.

I primarily shoot mutigun (UML & outlaw matches).  I've been shooting Tac Ops with an STI 2011 for the past 5 years.  I'm going to make the move to open this year and I'm pistol shopping.

I have small hands and have always found better grip with a Glock frame than my 2011.  I am considering building my open pistol on a G34 MOS.  Any wisdom on Glock as an open gun would be appreciated.
good idea being that there isn't any power factor. Buy the entire open kit from Carver Custom and shoot minor loads

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

G19B1CRS.jpg

1 hour ago, GSonnen said:

G34 MOS is a good start. Get a KKM Barrel, very accurate. 

I converted a G22 to 357 sig (had all the dies, brass and reloaded for my G32 for years). Carver mount, KKM threaded barrel, Carver 4 port Comp, Zev trigger, 13# recoil spring, FastFire3, Ice magwell, Glock Mags with bases at 170 and 140's. You'll get advice not to shoot a Glock in Open, but just ignore the critics. Unless you can afford a $3000 Open Gun. Glocks are easy to find parts and cheaper. I started in 2016 with this setup and had a blast and worked very well. Plus I lived in a van down by the river and didn't have the $$$. Just build what works for you. 

I later converted to a G17. KKM threaded barrel, Carver Mount, Carver 4 Port Comp, Zev Trigger, Ice Magwell and Pmag 170 and 140's mags. Works great. Someday I'll get a Chaos or CK Open gun, when I win the Lottery 😀.

With a G34 MOS get a KKM barrel, DeltaPointPro, holster, pouches and Pmags. Off you go. If you ever decide to go USPSA Carry Optics, you are set. 

Edited by Lastcat

If you haven't checked out YouTube videos on Glock race guns, have a look.  In general I would say Glocks are probably under-respected as competition guns.  I converted a G22 from a police service gun into a Limited gun with new sights, a KKM 40-to-9 barrel, a mag well, Johnny Glock trigger, and an extended mag catch button.  It shoots like butter.  Reliable, easy to shoot accurately, easy to clean.  I'm using Magpul magazines and find them 100% in every way.  Maybe I'd shoot a 2011 better but this gun is a lot of fun.

On 4/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, GSonnen said:

Get the MOS, a dot, and shoot Carry Optics in USPSA. Shooting minor, the comp/barrel ports really aren’t going to be that effective anyway. Then, the only thing you’d be giving up would be a magwell, and pistol reloads aren’t going to make or break your 3 gun stages.