Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Train For Uneven Ground?

Religious Shooter

Any tips or tricks for training for or shooting stages with uneven ground with a pistol or a long gun?

I shot the recent RM3G match and probably only one or two of the stages had close to "normal" ground. And even on those stages the ground was sloping up.

On some of the stages you had to:

- Go bounding up and down a gully stepping on large rocks and boulders and shooting the targets with your pistol. The ground was uneven due to water erosion and you actually began in a deep rut with your shotgun.

- Another stage had the same deal but you used your rifle.

- On another stage you started in a "bunker" and then run up a slight rise and then down. You then could either run into or jump a stream and land opposite against a pretty steep and somewhat muddy bank. You then continued to run another couple of feet on more uneven ground.

- etc.

I strive for smoothness while moving. With the rifle and pistol my movement was more jarring and herky jerky and I just could not get into a flow. I was a bit afraid of crashing (hard) into the rocks and dirt. On one stage the RO warned us that a couple of people had gone down. They did not get injured but I'm sure the crash must have hurt them a bit. :P )

All of the tips I have seen and all of the videos that I have are all on square and flat ranges. How do you practice and prepare for these type of range conditions?

I run in the pasture every morning around 5AM with the Airedales. It's dark and the running is by flashlight. You learn to run by feel-sort of. It's not a USPSA training regime but it helps.

Get some pasture, airedales, and a flashlight and you are set. :D

Dave

Wear boots with good ankle support. Hiking boots instead of tennies/cleats will go a long way toward making you feel stable on uneven ground.

Hiking on rough trails while not looking at your feet is about the only to get really good at walking on rough ground while watching your sights. I mostly train by dry firing on a treadmill. I basically teach myself to shoot the sights (pull the trigger when they say so, not when your body says so).

--

Regards

• 1 month later...

As Airedale has already said, get a dog and walk him/her/it on uneaven surfaces. Fun and healthy too. And then when you and him are in decent shape, take the dog and go hiking in the woods, ravines, and bogs. LOTS of fun, but less healthy if you break an ankle. Hiking boots or light duty type boots with decent thread help.

One thing I'm learning nowdays, is that your shoe thread can make a big difference as it wears out. It is becoming apparent to me that the thread life is gone long before it looks gone to you and that I should replace my boots more often then I do.

Edited by Vlad

I never really felt that any surface was too rough. But then growing up hunting waterfowl and upland game, you kind of get used to that damn pothole where you least expect it, and sometimes it's under a foot or more of water (think waders). I can remember many a time walking out to the blind very early in the morning, in fog, with a flashlight that was dying, and I somehow managed to not fall in. Then there were the times I'd hit something, have to get out of the blind and chase it down, all while being in a hurry and trying not to fall on my face in muddy and/or deep water conditions. I knew there was a reason to have a good dog. :)

Vince

Go to a state park or other rugged terrain near where you live and run the trails. Be careful of rolling ankles and such, but the longer you do it for the better and more fluid you will get at it.

Running cross country back in high school really helped me a ton.

Go trail running up in the mountains (don't remember how we got to where we got, but there's plenty of places to do this in Glendale, Glendora, etc.... they can't build houses everywhere). Just pray your cell works in case you break an ankle. ;)

• 3 months later...

get your hands up in front of you in your Grip ... sight down the thumbs and start walking ... make sure your not Bouncing the gun (use a bottle of water half full to make sure your not sloshing-bouncing the gun ...Matt Burkett's Idea)... i walk around furniture ... up stairs ... on the treadmill (be careful its harder than it sounds) and through tires (poor mans agility ladder.) start speeding it up ... you can also walk curbs ... and any other weird obstacle you can find ... and don't cross your feet! some sort of martial arts would help also ... try standing on one leg for a while ... now aim at the target on one leg ... OK now pivot your waist 90 degrees to engage another target ... now back 180 to the other side ... now do it faster! be careful of your knees!

+1 on good shoes! Get cleats that will let you roll your heel!

• 1 month later...