Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C/O Gun Options

Rosswoodford

So my wife and I have settled on a pistol with a red dot to get her introduced to the sport.  I'm looking at polymer striker guns that are already milled for a red dot, or already have a red dot mounted. 
Really just looking for some why/why not on the listed pistols below, or any other budget friendly suggestions I'm missing. My wife loved my P320 FS I had previously. I'm a firm believer in buy once, cry once on this, within reason. 

Options I'm considering:
P320 RX
Walther Q5  (dot option unknown at this point)  - This is my personal preference at this point, but I'm open to suggestions.
Canik Tp9SFX w/ Vortex Viper - *$635 price point is really appealing*

EDIT: It should be noted that this gun is almost guaranteed to not be beat on.. Maybe a couple thousand rounds per year unless I switch from limited.

Edited by Rosswoodford

6 minutes ago, Rosswoodford said:

I've ready that - Why?

I'm looking for something quantifiable. Do you shoot one regularly? How has it held up to your round count?

Thanks

Mine has about 5,000 uspsa rounds through it. I mainly shoot open, but did a year of CO including a couple of area matches and a national. Zero issues once I replaced the guide rod/spring with a walther one that worked with my 131pf reloads. The price is good, the ergonomics are good. The red dot mounting plates work well. The mags work and there are good baseplate extension options.

6 minutes ago, selecw said:

Mine has about 5,000 uspsa rounds through it. I mainly shoot open, but did a year of CO including a couple of area matches and a national. Zero issues once I replaced the guide rod/spring with a walther one that worked with my 131pf reloads. The price is good, the ergonomics are good. The red dot mounting plates work well. The mags work and there are good baseplate extension options.

Awesome. That's exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated!

So my wife and I have settled on a pistol with a red dot to get her introduced to the sport.  I'm looking at polymer striker guns that are already milled for a red dot, or already have a red dot mounted.  Really just looking for some why/why not on the listed pistols below, or any other budget friendly suggestions I'm missing. My wife loved my P320 FS I had previously. I'm a firm believer in buy once, cry once on this, within reason. 

Options I'm considering:

P320 RX

Walther Q5  (dot option unknown at this point)  - This is my personal preference at this point, but I'm open to suggestions.

Canik Tp9SFX w/ Vortex Viper - *$635 price point is really appealing*

EDIT: It should be noted that this gun is almost guaranteed to not be beat on.. Maybe a couple thousand rounds per year unless I switch from limited.

Definitely the Canik or Walther Q5 Steel Frame pro. Both have very good triggers out the box and Walther just released their OWN OEM flat trigger you can change to. Literally, just saw it on Instagram yesterday at IWA. 

Canik very affordable out the box, great ergos, crisp trigger break, medium reset.

Walther Q5 SF: steel frame(f/u shots will be faster due to easier steel frame causing less muzzle rise). Crisp trigger. shorter reset than canik. Zero play in barrel lockup. The European style mag release and slide stop being much longer will help her with reloads ad they're easier to reach.

If budget is a factor you CANNOT go wrong with Canik. If you can splurge more up front go with Walther.

Red Dot: I highly recommend new Sig Romeo3Max (max michel). It has humongous glass and a 6moa dot. Dot acquisition should be no issue with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

68952685bac9b14845344bd92a16e137.jpg9942fae5df77a2fb55bdf1af88576c5f.jpg

I have been shooting an M&P CORE for a couple years, first in Prod, now in CO, and recently upgraded to a Q5 Match SF. The CORE is Apexed out (trigger,  barrel) and is very accurate,  2.5 lb trigger, but it is 20,000 rounds old, and is now the backup. Mags with TTI extensions held 23. Runs flawlessly. 

The Walther is awesome, with plates that fit the array of red dots. I'm running Vortex Venoms, which I like a lot ( but have had to send one back for replacement @ 500 rounds, the other has maybe 10,000 on it, ymmv, but should have two).  The Q5 with TTI extensions only loads to 21, so a two round hit there, but not really a big deal...gonna reload once on long courses anyway. The other obvious downside is price,  for sure, but it doesn't need to be Apexed, and it runs great, EXCEPT won't lock back on empty with my 135 PF loads...but I've already screwed up if I've gone to slide lock, right? Good luck!

2 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Should follow same patterns as other sig dot plates 101ab64bfd22fd444a88eedd05246c97.jpg82680830d73886d3feb871db1e799e3b.jpg59dc37b48098029cea3a003ae789d8f1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The front lip where it overhangs the mounting plate prevents the current model fitting the Canik. Unfortunately the MM looks the same. If the dot is brighter than the current Romeo 3 I may try it on my open gun though.

Edited by selecw

First is this gun for your wife to start shòoting with  or is it for you and mybe the old time she might shoot it because  more i read the posts thats the way it seems.But if it for her them you already know what she loves that was the P320RX that you had 

On 3/15/2019 at 12:56 PM, JAB said:

First is this gun for your wife to start shòoting with  or is it for you and mybe the old time she might shoot it because  more i read the posts thats the way it seems.But if it for her them you already know what she loves that was the P320RX that you had 

It’s for her. I’ll probably get curious and dabble in C/O with it at a club match or two at some

point but I shoot limited/SSTK and do not plan on changing platforms permanently. I was more curious if there was a better “bang for my buck” than another 320. I don’t have a problem buying something nice, I just know she isn’t likely to shoot a ton either way and a wading through options.