Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson front sight on my 627 PC 5" ?

ysrracer

Greetings All,

It took me a few minutes, but I finally got the replaceable front sight off my 627. Now that I know the procedure it's a piece of cake. I measured it and the stock front sight is:

Height: .225

Width: .125

My choices at Dawson are:

Height: .225

Width: .100

Or

Height: .230

Width: .090

I'm going to use the gun for icore and general range time. The stock front sight is too wife. Thoughts?

11 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Greetings All,

I'm going to use the gun for icore and general range time. The stock front sight is too wife. Thoughts?

I would get the .100 wide. Are you saying the stock front sight is too FAT?

Edited by Toolguy

It's your preference, most people like to use the narrow (.09) with a . 110 or . 125 front. Order it from Protocol Design here, they are well made, I run his front and rear sight on mine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Evidently he's not married to it 🤣 sorry couldn't resist.

First is the stock FS good for elevation and what is the RS set at to get there.

I usually have to go with a .300 tall FS to keep from bottoming out the RS.  

I also don't like the original RS blade, you can update the sight blade, or the whole assembly for not much money, to the .196" blade and that to me makes a huge difference in the sight picture.

Dawson lists the non-f/o classic sight from .090 to .110 at .225 and they go up to .300.

A .090 is pretty thin, to see what really looks good whittle some wood, popsicle sticks?, to .090 and .110 and see what looks best.

My guess is .100 or .110 would be better.

Given any thought to a fiber optic FS though?  Most of us have settled on them.

8 hours ago, Kurusty said:

It's your preference, most people like to use the narrow (.09) with a . 110 or . 125 front. Order it from Protocol Design here, they are well made, I run his front and rear sight on mine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Protocol Design .100 wide front and his  Rear sight are a great combination. I really appreciate how deep the notch is on his rear sight blade. The deep rear notch really seems to help line things up when I’m trying to shoot at speed. 

7 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Sorry, yes I'm going with a fiber optic. Yes the front sight is too wide. I want the poi to be higher, so maybe I'll go with a lower front sight.

Reason I mention the RS is I've found the shallower factory RS on most S&W models give the impression of a tighter sight picture.

I'm pretty sure my 627 PC came with the deeper RS so it may not be an issue.

The 627 PC has the classic FS so you can get multiple FS blades and it's just pop 'em in and out.

Try to make sure you're not bottomed out, or way high, on the RS adjustment.  It's best to sight in about halfway up.

If you do that and shoot a group at 15 yards there's a formula for determining the proper FS height.

I actually do mine at 25 yds (900) and never off of the bench as that can affect the POI.

Error (in inches) x actual distance between FS and RS (in inches)/540(15yds*36)=correction in inches.

-2.0 x 6.5 / 540 (15 yds) = .024  So if you were 2" low at 15 yards with a sight radius of 6.5 inches you would need to shorten the FS by .024 or a .225 - .024 would = .201 (round to nearest height available) hi FS.

-2.0 x 6.5 / 900 (25 yds) =  .0144  a .225 would need to become a .210.

Plug in appropriate numbers to figure.

I'd rather have a .110 or .100 serrated FO, the .090 is too narrow for me with the factory RS (though I do use the .125 width on my 627).  The serrations reduce glare and if there's no recess for the FO it can blur out the sides of the FS.  The Dawson's are serrated and the FO sits in a recess so it is a cleaner picture. 

I must have a dozen I've tried over the years for the 4 N frames I've used in competition.

Edited by pskys2