Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transitions and patience

Unibrain

I have a problem and am looking for help.   When I shoot a three target array I have a tendancy to shoot 2A - 2C (one on either side of the A) and 2C/1C-1A (usually on the inside edge).  This is more pronounced the closer the array.  I know I'm rushing and am having problems breaking through and making it stop.  If I "slow down" and watch the dot I can get all A or A and close C but the HF is lower than when I shoot at what seems like match speed to me.  I know I need to fix this because the other A/M/G can shoot the same array with a higher HF and it's the points that set is apart.  

Other than practicing a 3 target array, is there another drill than can help me focus on the right things?

jim - A/Open

What distance? Inside 10 yards you should be able to rip mostly alphas without a dot. Once you can do that, add the dot and use partial sight pictures to clean the rest of your hits up. No, I'm not joking about building muscle memory without a dot.

On 2/25/2019 at 6:57 PM, Unibrain said:

If I "slow down" and watch the dot I can get all A or A and close C but the HF is lower than when I shoot at what seems like match speed to me.

Check out Steve Anderson’s books and podcast. He preaches, and so do all the other GMs I’ve taken classes from, to not think about match speed or slowing down.  

At matches plan (Steve’s suggested stage planning is analstratmemvis or analyze, strategize, memorize and visualize) stage, then when the beeper goes off shoot the targets when I see an acceptable sight picture. If it doesn’t look like acceptable shoot another. No slowing down or adjusting speed to fix my errors. 

Well it works, but I love having my hair on fire and that burns up my score. 

As as far as drills go, there are so many you have to pick those which reflect the issue you want to work on. If you’re having a problem shooting and leaving a target then set up a couple of targets and practice varieties of that issue. 

Also have someone watch and critique your transition techniques. 

Edited by HesedTech