Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you looking at???

jskd82

Interested to hear what you guys focus on when there are multiple targets that are close together and you need to transition to quickly.  For instance if doing the B. E. transition drill.  3 targets set up at 7 yards, fairly close to eachother.  Do you just focus on front sight the whole time or do you focus more on the targets and let the sights blur? 

I have heard the pros talk about their eyes switching to the next target while the gun is recoiling.  I would find it hard to imagine they are switching their eyes to next target and then swinging the gun over and focus on front sight before taking the next shot, especially at the speed they are going and more so when the targets are pretty much side by side at close range. 

I can see transitioning with eyes first and focusing on front sight for targets that are spread far apart or at distance. 

Any thoughts? 

Edited by jskd82

At 7 yards you do not need that hard of a focus on your front sight so I am looking at the spot on target I want to hit. While shooting I am looking over the slide of gun and as soon as I see the front sight get back below the top of A zone, I’m firing again.  

What the pros are doing is something that takes a hell of a lot of practice. But that practice and mastery of the objective will serve you better than any gadget on the market. This has ALL been discussed in multiple threads here:

1. Get your basic fundamentals down to automatic as walking. Stance (chest down body placement) Grip (upper body placement) Trigger control (hammer falls without the sights moving) This is your INDEX and it is tuned to YOUR Natural Point of Aim. This all needs to be consistent for #2 to work.

2. Call your shots AS you squeeze the trigger, not after. AND Have the discipline to NOT squeeze the trigger if your aim is off. This may be the hardest part, but if you have your index perfected the sights will almost be irrelevant. Once you have mastered this you move on to #3.

3. Train your eyes to go where the next shot is going AS the shot fires. If you have a second shot on the same target your eyes will stay in the that target. If you are transitioning to a second target your eyes are moving to the center of that target. This will take place as the gun recoils and the gun should be moving to where your eyes are focused before it goes back into battery.

You can practice this anywhere. (except behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. focus on the road) Pick three distinct point of focus. (I like putting target pasters on the wall) Once you have your targets picked out, turn away slightly. Take a deep breath, clear your head and focus on the first target while mentally saying "BANG!" (don't do it out loud or men in white suits will come for you) As you say BANG!  shift your focus to the second target and BANG! again. And on the second BANG! shift the third and do it again. Then shift between the targets at random. Set a par time for for getting focus on three targets as you BANG!. Then work your par time down. Then add three more targets.

If you are out walking in the mall or a store, shift your focus to different people's faces as quickly as you can identify a particular feature in your mind. (Again, NOT out loud) get your eye moving constantly but able to focus on a target before you move on. Then the next time you go to the range practice it live fire. You'll be surprised at what you learn.

This topic is very relevant right now for me. I don't know if I'm doing this right or wrong.

When I'm at home, dry firing indoors, I'm able to remain very focused on my front sight. Transitioning from one target to another, I shift my sight to the next target and I can see a very clean sight picture. This change a bit when I go live fire practice.

Today was the first time I was able to train at an outdoor range in 3 weeks. I've been dry firing daily so I was excited to see the results. I was getting my shots on target at 7 and 10 yards, doing transitions but my front sight was more of a blur. Focus was more on target. Again, hitting my shots but not getting that clean sight picture I get in dry fire. I slowed down and then I see it.

So... should I slow down to get that clean sight picture if I am able to make the shot faster with not so great of a sight picture at shorter distances, 10 yards and under?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

At 7-10 yards sight alignment should be your natural index position. That will get the job done. Bigger issue is trigger control. When I joined the Navy in 1976 aNavy Master Chief taught me that pistol shooting boils down to two fundamental issues. Sight alignment and trigger control. There are a bunch of training books and videos out there now, but they are just techniques to achieve sight alignment and trigger control.