Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COL for 147 plated round nose.

Wheeljack

Going thru some manuals and magazines can make you crazy or crazier.   Just trying to get a safe, accurate, load for shooting at the range, not competition loads.  I think for my 9mm, 147gr plated rounds, Berry's, using TightGroup at 3.4gr that a COL of 1.150 looks safe.  I crimp at .376 for the .356 diameter bullet.  Checking the barrels of the guns I use, they all will take a 1.150+ COL bullet.

What confuses me when looking at the manuals is:  Lee in Modern Reloading list the MINIMUM COL at l.160, except if you use Vihtavuori powder.  Pat Sweeney lists his Berry's 147gr bullets with a 1.070 COL.  Lymans 147gr TMJ bullet, uses a 1.115 COL.  That's enough to confuse anyone.  I know bullet shape can make a difference but a range of l.115 to 1.160 is confusing, to say the least.

So, my question is, whether my COL of 1.150, with a Berry's plated bullet a good length or should I go up or down a little?   

Edited by Wheeljack

Does it pass plunk test? Meaning it falls in chamber, spins freely, and fall right out. If it doesnt pass that test then shorten until it does. Crimp is fine around .376-.378 or so. If good so far then just load with the 3.4 and chrono the load while also checking group ability POI etc. THEN, you can start experimenting with different charge weights, shorter oal etc. Some guns shoot more accurately with a shorter or longer oal and with higher or lower charge weights. Of course this info is only good for this one brand and bullet weight. If you change to a different bullet then you start all over again.

I read reloading manuals for trivia about the hobby not for recipes. Because like you said it's confusing. LOL 

The OAL's listed in manuals/data is completely useless. It's the length THEY used when they tested the round. I load a plated 147gr bullet to 1.09 because that's the longest my Shadow will allow. Remember, magazines can also limit OAL.

Your 3.4gr load of Titegroup should be good, I needed 3.6gr to achieve 130 PF out of a 4.25" barrel but my bullets are thick plated.

Crimping to .376 is about right but you should pull a bullet just to see how aggressively the crimp has bitten into the plating. If it's more than a faint line don't be afraid to open it up to .378. Plated bullet don't like to be heavily crimped.

See this thread for additional information: https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/271129-9mm-crimp-die-adjustment-needed/?tab=comments#comment-3018138

Edited by 4n2t0

I use the 147 because of the stuff I read about it being subsonic.  I could try 124 next.  When everything is running right, then I have to try something else.

So, I guess an COL of 1.150 should work.  The bullet is still .356 or .3555 at the rim and .378 for a crimp. 

My next buy will be 124 round nose plated and a COL to be announced.

Watch out for those falling rockets. 

16 minutes ago, Wheeljack said:

So, I guess an COL of 1.150 should work.  

Maybe, maybe not.

You should load to 1.15" and run The Plunk Test on those bullets in Your Gun.

Might be too long for your gun - you have to test them to see if they will "work".    :) 

1.150 should be fine for 124, 147, or 165g plated bullets. Coated bullets typically need to be seated deeper. A proper plunk and a pin test will let you know.

As far as crimp is concerned, I use the least amount that I can get away with. I just make the walls straight.

For the 147g profile, I would start my ladder loads at 2.8g. Depending on the gun/barrel, you could be close to the 125 Power Factor already.

Edited by himurax13

All my guns passed the plunk test, measured with bullet in a fired shell and at 1.160+ all bullets turned and dropped out.  I'll be using .378 for the crimp.  All bullets passed the case gauge measure.  The Tightgroup powder loads I found at the Hodgdon site were from 3.2 to 3.6gr.  I have been using 3.4gr..  The COL was for only the XTP  bullets.

So with all your help, I think I'm in a good place.    Thanks