Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick new slide fitting question

ncrivello

When getting a new virgin slide it will usually need fitting right?

Reason I ask is that I have a Springfield GI that I'd like to build a new top end for.  The factory slide is super loose, I also have new uninstalled slide from a Remington R1 that I picked up for cheap somewhere, and that one also fits loosely... If I order a new slide from Caspian or Fusion, etc. can I be confident that I'll need to fit it?

Should probably check the rails on the GI to verify that they're within spec as well...      

When getting a new virgin slide it will usually need fitting right?

Reason I ask is that I have a Springfield GI that I'd like to build a new top end for.  The factory slide is super loose, I also have new uninstalled slide from a Remington R1 that I picked up for cheap somewhere, and that one also fits loosely... If I order a new slide from Caspian or Fusion, etc. can I be confident that I'll need to fit it?

Should probably check the rails on the GI to verify that they're within spec as well...      
if the barrel fit and lockup is right then the side to side looseness is irrelevant. It'll actually help to feed more reliably. Overly tight guns have feeding issues. If your gun is not as accurate as you'd like then fit a new barrel

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

if the barrel fit and lockup is right then the side to side looseness is irrelevant. It'll actually help to feed more reliably. Overly tight guns have feeding issues. If your gun is not as accurate as you'd like then fit a new barrel

I hear you on slide fit vs accuracy, but it has those teeny tiny sights on it that need to go away.   In lieu of a new slide option one for sights is:

https://dawsonprecision.com/copy-of-dawson-precision-springfield-1911-mil-spec-fixed-carry-sight-set-black-rear-black-front/ 

$80 plus the $50 staking tool; option two is to have the slide machined for a Bomar/Dawson setup.  

Option three is use the Remington slide as it fits noticeably better, with a new barrel and Novak sights.  

I hear you on slide fit vs accuracy, but it has those teeny tiny sights on it that need to go away.   In lieu of a new slide option one for sights is:

https://dawsonprecision.com/copy-of-dawson-precision-springfield-1911-mil-spec-fixed-carry-sight-set-black-rear-black-front/ 

$80 plus the $50 staking tool; option two is to have the slide machined for a Bomar/Dawson setup.  

Option three is use the Remington slide as it fits noticeably better, with a new barrel and Novak sights.  
1 vote for option 3. Go with KKM barrels they are making some great stuff right now

Measure the width of your frame rails.  Then measure the width of the frame ways.  Nominal on frame ways is .115", but many go as high as .118".  The width of the rails will determine which slide you can use, because you want to take material off the frame rials to fit, rather than the slide ways.  If your rails are .755" or larger, you can use almost any slide.  If they are .754" or smaller you cannot use an STI slide.  Most Caspian slides come in at .753" slide ways, so the are usable on almost anything.  If your rails are .751" or so, you are going to have a problem.

I would not go with a KKM barrel.  They are all gunsmith fit and it takes a LOT of effort to fit them unless you have a mill and a barrel jig.  You can get very good results using either a Kart X-Act fit barrel or a Barsto Semi-Fit barrel.  Both come with finished lower lugs and link.  You have to fit the hoods on each, but that is simple.  You also have to file down the 'bumps' on the Kart upper lugs to get the correct amount of engagement.

I say hogwash on the overly tight barrel fit feeding issues.  I build my own 1911s and 2011s and they are tight (as in no play).  I have zero feeding issues.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

I say hogwash on the overly tight barrel fit feeding issues.  I build my own 1911s and 2011s and they are tight (as in no play).  I have zero feeding issues.

Agree 100%

I build my own also (most of the time) and the tighter the fit the better.

when things are slopping around is when things get out of alignment or timing.

IF sights are your major concern most any gunsmith can mill your current slide for a Bomar style rear sight and a dovetail of your choice for a new front sight.

Usually for much less than a new slide. ( the new slide will need to be milled for sights also. Either by the manufacture or a smith!

Edited by jcc7x7

1 hour ago, zzt said:

Measure the width of your frame rails.  Then measure the width of the frame ways.  Nominal on frame ways is .115", but many go as high as .118".  The width of the rails will determine which slide you can use, because you want to take material off the frame rials to fit, rather than the slide ways.  If your rails are .755" or larger, you can use almost any slide.  If they are .754" or smaller you cannot use an STI slide.  Most Caspian slides come in at .753" slide ways, so the are usable on almost anything.  If your rails are .751" or so, you are going to have a problem.

Using your figures, it appears the frame rails are a good deal out of spec.  0.743" wide at the front and 0.746" at the rear.  Right about 0.1" for the height of the frame ways.  clackety-clack... 

Width of the GI slide is 0.760", and 0.756" for the Remington slide 

Edit:  Just measured the rails on both my SA Trophy Match and 9mm Range Officer.  Both have slides that are nice and tight.  Both have rail widths of 0.748-0.749"

Edited by ncrivello

Usually the receiver rails are more of an issue with slide frame fit.  People use accurail or have the receiver rails micro-welded  and re-machined to fit the slide.

However, the contact between the barrel bushing/barrel, Upper Lug/Barrel Hood, and lower lug to slide stop pin are most important to accuracy.  If these are good, the slide will tighten up pretty well in battery.  Jerry Kuhnhausens book places a 15% accuracy improvement on slide tightness.

I shoot Bullseye/Precision Pistol and have a Les Baer with a fairly loose slide (From 70,000+ rounds)  I will still hold the 10 ring at 50 yards

Keith

n, wear at the front of the rails is due to the sloppy slide to frame fit.  The slide rattles as it travels and wears the front more than the rear.

It is unlikely you will find an aftermarket slide as small as you would need.  You can have the rails peened down and refit, or weld (don't like that approach).  I think your best bet is one of the following options:

1. forget about it and shoot it as is.  You already have two other good guns.

2.  Have it Accurailed, about $300-$350.

3. send it to SA and sweet talk them into fitting a new slide and barrel.  Much more than $350.

4. sell it and buy a new RO, or something you don't already have.