Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading for 5.56 NATO vs. 223 Wylde

jmac2112

I've been reloading for 9mm and .45 ACP for a couple of years, but now I'm building my first AR and I'm researching the reloading process for that.  This will be a relatively lightweight build, and I've narrowed down the barrel to either a Faxon Gunner Match 16" 223 Wylde or a Faxon Gunner 16" 5.56 NATO.  It's my understanding that, all other things being equal, a 223 Wylde barrel will be more accurate than a 5.56 barrel.  It's also my understanding that this is due partly to the longer bullet jump with the 5.56 chamber (and the fact that the chamber is a little looser).  So, my question is, how much can this difference be minimized by loading with a longer OAL for 5.56?  

The reason I'm building this gun is to use it in the 2-gun matches at my local range, and I realize that extreme accuracy is not really necessary for that purpose.  2 or 3 MOA vs. 1 MOA is not a huge disadvantage in this arena.  Still, part of me doesn't care about that and just wants the gun to be as accurate as possible.   There is about a $50 difference in the price of these two barrels, though, and I don't want to throw away money for no reason, especially if reloading technique can make a 5.56 barrel almost as accurate as the Wylde.  

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks,

John

I'm curious to read the replies to your question. I built one in 2015. I just went with a Bravo Company std. 16" mid length 5.56 barrel. I've read where there could be a slight difference, but I'm thinking good precision reloads would compensate if there is a difference in the two barrel types. I reload my 5.56 for plinking and target shooting. All of my brass is from factory 5.56 ammo, but I also have some 223 brass from factory stuff.

I reloaded for 40 S&W, and 45 ACP since 2013. I just added 9mm. I didn't start reloading for my AR until 2017.

I shoot 3 gun and most people I know shoot Wylde chambered guns.  The throat is tighter and the jump is actually longer on the Wylde chamber cut, as I understand it, to accommodate 80 grain bullets not loaded to mag length.  Don't quote me on that though.  I would definitely get the Wylde chamber cut.

When I read your post I thought I would just step out of the box and say what was on my mind, and that is, don't get the Faxon Barrel.  I have heard mixed reviews on them on this forum.  Get a Odin works or Criterion and call it a day.  The Odin barrels in 223 Wylde except the ultralyte weight model has a sub moa guarantee.  My wife has a Ultralyte barrel on her competition rifle and it is a solid sub moa performer with match ammo.  Every single person I know with a Criterion barrel, which is more than a few, is completely happy with them reporting remarkable accuracy, I want one I just keep getting the Odin barrels on sale from Primary Arms.  If you want to save money get a Ballistic advantage barrel, they have a sub moa guarantee also.  All our AR's with match barrels easily shoot sub moa and you will like it I promise.  You can thank me later.

I may be way out of line on this with the Faxon barrels, maybe I am wrong and they are great, but that is the first thing that that came to my mind.

Thanks, bigedp51, for the specs!  I'm no expert on these things, but two things jump out at me immediately: 1) the freebore length for the Wylde is significantly longer than it is for the 5.56 NATO, which is the opposite of what I was thinking; and 2) Clymer has a VERY different idea of what a 5.56 NATO chamber should be compared to JGS and PTG.   Beyond that, I can see that there are many variables that I don't yet understand.

12glocks:  I will definitely check out the Odin and Criterion barrels.  I've looked at Ballistic Advantage before, but I'll have another look at them as well.  Does your wife's Ultralyte barrel continue to deliver sub-MOA accuracy after the first few shots?  Most reviews I read about the light profile barrels say something like "Things were going great for the first 4 or 5 shots, and then the group  really started to open up."  

Anyone else?

Thanks!

John

My experience with pencil profile 18" is that it's whippy and using a brake with top ports made my shots string vertically. 3"× .75" @ 100 yards would be a typical group. Switched to a Miculek and easily MOA.

I can't tell there's an accuracy difference between my standard profile barrels in 5.56 or Wylde chambers.

My Bergara .223 Wylde chamber has an incredibly short leade and I will be over pressure and blowing primers on reloads that my 5.56 chambered guns will eat all day. 

It is a 24" barrel and will throw MK262 at 2960fps without any real pressure signs. 

Edited by chevrofreak

12 hours ago, jmac2112 said:

12glocks:  I will definitely check out the Odin and Criterion barrels.  I've looked at Ballistic Advantage before, but I'll have another look at them as well.  Does your wife's Ultralyte barrel continue to deliver sub-MOA accuracy after the first few shots?  Most reviews I read about the light profile barrels say something like "Things were going great for the first 4 or 5 shots, and then the group  really started to open up."  

I don't think there is a huge degradation in accuracy.  We don't shoot 3 rounds and let in cool on a bench.  When we are checking zero we load a 30 round mag and shoot some groups at 100 and 200.  I have not shot 30 round mag dumps and then tested it though specifically.  But MD's invariably put a bunch of hoser targets before long range targets and functionally she is making many first round hits out to 500.  We are shooting a warm load out of our rifles too, a 75 gr HPBT at ~2630 out of a 16" and ~2720 out of my 18" barrel.  I just ordered another one of those Odin barrels today for her other rifle (run n gun light weight build) from righttobear.com for about $250 on sale.  There are other brands and this is just my experience.  There was a barrel thread on here recently that you can look at also.  FWIW, my wife won a Troy Revolution carbon fiber forend and I put it on her rifle and there was a serious degradation in accuracy.  I put her Samson forend back on and sub moa again.  The only thing I can figure out is that the skinny barrel whips a lot and that carbon fiber is thicker than aluminum.  I think the adjustable gas block was hitting the forend.  I have it mounted on another rifle now with a heavier barrel profile and its fine (same gas block too).  So it may not be best to go with a skinny forend with a skinny barrel.  My sample size is one though.

Also, since we are on the subject of precision if you will, Criterion Barrels has a series of videos out on accurizing the AR.  I followed those steps (bedding and truing the fce)and it made a difference.  The reason I know this is because I originally bought my wife and 18" Odin 3 gun barrel.  Nut she is 5'4" and a buck 15 and it was too heavy.  The barrel shot sub moa, something on the order of .7 moa.  After truing the face and bedding the barrel extension with green loctite, it was .38 moa with the same barrel.  Depending on your comfort level with AR builds etc...

• 1 month later...

For what its worth:  I've shot all kinds of .223-5.56 chambered barrels for NRA HP.  The only difference was the COAL w. 80+g bullets.  For my 3g rifles, all are mag length loaded and I've had good results w. all kinds of chambers and several barrels.  I think that the barrel quality and chamber quality matter more than chamber type; a quality Krieger will shoot well w. a good chamber etc.  I have observed several otherwise good looking barrels, as observed w. bore scope, that had poor chambers and I felt they did not shoot as well as they should. 

I don't think you are really going to tell a difference other than you might get about the same velocity w. less powder in a tighter chamber w. shorter throat than a long throat.  

• 2 weeks later...