Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any one used a conversion cone ?

Bwilmot

I have a cone comped gun and would like to change the compensator but the choices are limited with the cone comps.  Is it as easy as it looks? Just fit the conversion sleeve and then I could use bull barrel compensators ?   It seems like my cone barrel is only .25 in longer than my slide.  The bull barrel needs .4-.5.  How would that work out?    Any help is appreciated 

2 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Yes, its just that easy. the conversion has a large threaded section so it will work on a 5" slide with a 5" barrel and still have the needed threads available for the comp.

I have one on my open gun and it works great.

That’s awesome thank you for the info.  

I have one on my .38Super and it's been just fine. Just remember to clean all threads thoroughly and use Loctite red. Also check it from time to time to make sure it's not loosening up. But that goes for ANY threaded comp.

21 hours ago, Dranoel said:

I have one on my .38Super and it's been just fine. Just remember to clean all threads thoroughly and use Loctite red. Also check it from time to time to make sure it's not loosening up. But that goes for ANY threaded comp.

Thank you.   I’ve got the one from egw in order.  :) 

I forgot to say that you will most likely need to do some fitting to the large end of the cone to get it to fit your slide. I had access to a lathe so I spun the cone with that and used some emery cloth to reduce the dia till I got the fit I wanted. 

If you are using an EGW cone adapter, it will require fitting.  One thing I would advise when Locktiting the conversion cone to the barrel is to be very careful if you use primer.  If you've cleaned everything properly and followed the instructions for the primer, you'll only have 10-13 seconds to get the cone in place before it sets up and you cannot turn it.  If you cannot get it on and clocked in that time, forget the primer and wait two days for a good cure.